AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching ESPN tonight, the SC-Tennesee game, I notiiced at the beginning a flash that it was Dolby 5.1 surround sound.

I have my Motorola 5100 HDTV box audio output connected via digital to the Onkyo SR700 receiver.

I have The Onkyo audiio set to surround sound.,

I only seem to hear sound from the middle front speaker. Testing has all 5 speakers working.

Should I hear more?

BTW, I have only had the setup about two weeks and really have not heard any real surround sound, even on DVDs.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
a flash that it was Dolby 5.1 surround sound.
your eyes are seeing things that you really want them to see. i saw the flash too, but it read, "circle surround".

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does "circle surround mean?"

·
Registered
340 Posts
 nice reading material

hope u wanted to read the entire nite. get yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Select the PLII mode on your receiver to get full surround form the CS broadcast and don't waste your time with this guy's "poll" (He's bitter about not having a CS decoder to work with so he trashes the company instead of conducting his own listening tests).

The poll was posted by an angry individual with a personal grudge against SRS, knowing full well that there isn't a standalone consumer CSII decoder available yet for purchase. This person expressed anger at the mere availability of a new matrix decoding format, yet said nothing when Dolby responded to the success of Circle Surround by launching PLIIx.

The results of the poll are of course skewed because:

a.) It's a relatively new surround format

b.) There isn't yet an add on you can get for existing receivers to add it easily

c.) It isn't likely to be seen by members of the HTPC forum, where people ther have actually USED CSII

If you were to ask those same people if they plan to buy a new receiver in the next 6 months, most of them would say no. (I can't belive this guy is still on about his "poll")

Check out the HTPC forum here for a number of threads on the quality of CSII. They seem to be the ones most likely to be using Circle Surround bcause you can get it for under $100 in a PC and it sounds awesome with ESPN's broadcasts.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Wow Kurt, I thought I was pretty clear about pointing him in the right direction without bias, it's nice of you to express your anger in such ways.

I HAVE heard CS and CSII from my HTPC, it's not discreet audio which was the arguement for the whole thread that several people took place in and voiced their same concern and the fact that NO technical information was posted and the whole idea/thread seemed to just keep getting no answers.

Don't say I am the only one with an agenda with something against your company, I couldn't possibly sway THAT many votes.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kheiden
Select the PLII mode on your receiver to get full surround form the CS broadcast and don't waste your time with this guy's "poll"
My K/K receiver has more than one PL mode--Movies, Music, and I forget the other (Emulation??) Does it make any difference which one I choose to watch sports? If so, which one do I use?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Select the PLII mode on your receiver to get full surround form the CS broadcast
I can tell you that with Dolby ProLogic only, the 2-channel broadcast of tonight's Cubs/Braves game on Fox had much more "full" surround than anything on ESPN.

I can't imagine that DPL-II would change that much.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
ABC/ESPN's games sound shallow to me. Compared to even Fox's SD football games. I think the problem is they (ABC/ESPN) don't put mics on the field. You don't hear the QB's audibles/cadence or the hits.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drhill
ABC/ESPN's games sound shallow to me.
That's a good way to describe it.

Fox (both baseball and football) and CBS football sounded much better than ESPN yesterday (both baseball and football).

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
It's disappointing that technology has moved backwards for most AV enthusiasts with the introduction of Circle Surround. The inability to send the signal in 5.1 causes any gain from CS to be lost for the majority of us. I can't comment on the comparison between the alternative surround formats, but I am discouraged that whatever good things CS brings to the table cannot be heard by most of us.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,656 Posts
Yes, I edited the topic title.

·
Registered
28,592 Posts
Quote:
....... knowing full well that there isn't a standalone consumer CSII decoder available yet for purchase.
Okay, I'm confused. There are a number of higher-end A/V receivers on the market, including Kenwood, that claim to decode CS, presumably separate and distinct from PLII. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Will anybody like Yamaha, Denon, Sony etc. be putting out a receiver with Circle Surround anytime soon?

Plus, I'm not trying to start a war, but why is Circle Surround being pushed for 5.1 sound coding when many years ago Dolby Digital was determined to be the standard?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Because ESPN wanted the sound but couldn't fork over the bandwidth. Also, this CS (crap) is supposed to be an up and coming idea with support from other networks and shows like "frasier" on NBC.

The way I see it, after the digital center is finished, if we lobby for DD enough they will change. I see this as a major possibility cause ABC already uses DD for most of it's programming and that CS is a "fluke".

Who knows though, we could all have CS decoders in the future and forget about it. I doubt it (their marketing sucks), but it could happen. This is the only format I've ever seen succeed shoving it in people's faces rather than advertising it as a valuable feature.

My $.02 cents.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been into HIFI for over 40 years. Some form of circle surround has been around for at least that long under one name or another. While it does a good job with the rear channels it falls far short in the front channels and steering the surround sound. I say it is time for this outdated format to go away.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beebe
Will anybody like Yamaha, Denon, Sony etc. be putting out a receiver with Circle Surround anytime soon?

Plus, I'm not trying to start a war, but why is Circle Surround being pushed for 5.1 sound coding when many years ago Dolby Digital was determined to be the standard?
Theta just recently announced CSII in their latest offerings:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=309713

Look for another major Japanese name to adopt CSII in the next few months.

Delivering DD is a very complicated and costly procedure for broadcasters, and many of them are finding that for much of their content, it provides no huge value that CS can't already give them over a stereo infrastucture. Lots has been said on the forums about it.

The Rocktron CS is much different than what's used today. Especially in steering.

·
Registered
771 Posts
"many of them are finding that for much of their content, it provides no huge value that CS can't already give them over a stereo infrastucture"

...except the value of knowing your adience can actually hear it in the format you broadcast in. Just about every receiver you can buy nowadays and for the past couple years supports DD 5.1. How many support Circle Surround? Very few.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.