AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im one of them audiophile on a budget types
Movies are my priority. Im Aussie, and buying for me and my fiance. Part of me thinks I shouldn't spend more than 3 grand (AUD) for 7.x speakers, so paradigm, B&W, crystal acoustics, reference klipsch, psb etc are out. As 3k would be 30% of my overall HT budget. Which I feel is high enough.

My latest thinking is these sets below, which work out well with amazon shipping to australia; Energy, MA's and such are expensive to ship here.

1)

Center - JBL LC2 4-Way

3 pair - JBL L820 6-Inch 4-Way; for front/side/rear

= $2116 shipped

2)

frontstage - BIC america DV-CLR6

side/rear - BIC america DV62si

= $1225 shipped

3) (die cast baskets on all, and bi-terminal additions to center/front)

center - axiom VP160

fronts - axiom m22v3

sides - axiom Qs8

rears - axiom m3

= $2965 +free shipping

I will be amping them with emotiva xpa-5, bi-amping (where can) fronts with onkyo, and crossing over at 80hz with 2 subs to start. I have a few months to decide my path. And I could use all the advice I can get. (though please dont say I should listen to these for myself or audition; I live in regional western australia. There is no place to do such thing, and returning trials would be costly)

I feel like based on reviews and amazon testimony and specs I will be pleased with these but I'm wondering whats the best and if they are comparable. I could have overlooked another avenue also, thats what Im posting here for.

Cheers AVS. (glad to be finally on here looooong time lurker)

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I would normally suggest that 50% of the system budget go to speakers, but the devil is in the details...lol.

Aussie Hi-Fi in Brisbane seems to have quite a nice selection of speakers, including Mordaunt-Short and Dynaudio, which are two brands that would probably be worth considering. You should check out their website. I assume they could ship to you.

Mordaunt-Short and Dynaudio products seem to generally offer very good sound at prices that might be OK for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50% of the audio part of the system? or 50% even including projector, screen, player, amps, room treatment? :p I guess that is my question there. Of the audio stuff. Id say my setups proposed are about 50-60% of the audio equation.

I seen aussie hifi. It is pretty pricey in some brands. Huge mark up over the price americans and brits pay.

edit: Here is the best combo I have scouted in my budget from aussie hifi.

center - MK 750 THX loudspeaker

fronts - PWR2 towers steinman

2x pair surrounds - SMB4 dipole steinman

Comes out to 3200$ AUD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts