AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes, it will bring in the 119° channels.

If you decide to keep it, consider using two 18" dishes -- one for each satellite -- instead of the elliptical dish. If and when we ever have rain again -- and we will -- the additional signal strength gained from separate dishes will help.

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
216 Posts
I want to try out a SAT-HD100 but don't have an oval dish. I want to see channel 199 and HBO HD. Can I point my existing round dish to 119 and see these channels without another dish pointing to 101? Thanks.

Will

·
Registered
200 Posts
The manual for the Toshiba DST-3000 specifically states that you cannot use a round dish for receiving the 119 HDTV sat. I tried. I could not get it to work. I ended up buying an elliptical. Thats ok, I guess I will have the rest of the Direct TV channels too... How many receivers does a man need?

Dan

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dleithaus:
The manual for the Toshiba DST-3000 specifically states that you cannot use a round dish for receiving the 119 HDTV sat. I tried. I could not get it to work. I ended up buying an elliptical. Thats ok, I guess I will have the rest of the Direct TV channels too... How many receivers does a man need?

Dan
How many???????????? Um.........

You can use a round dish for 119. You will only get the 119 channels. The receiver will need to be set up for OVAL. I sometimes use two dishes here in AL since pine trees are everywhere. It can be done. Heck I thats what I have at my own house now. Sony HD-100 with a single dish. The set up process is different so that why directv and manuf. say you need an oval dish.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dave,

It was my impression from doing a search here, that the reason that an elliptical is necessary is due to the program guide download from sat 101. From my search, it seemed that 2 round dishes could be used for the same purpose (with better fade protection), but just one round dish would not work. I could not get a single round dish to work with the DST-3000.

dan

·
Registered
453 Posts
Dan, Dave is correct, single dish pointed at 119 works just fine, have one setup on a DTC-100. If you tell your receiver it has a single dish it will not work you must tell it it is a oval dish.

Bob H.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought the DST-3000, but I don't have an oval dish, and my question is would I be able to receive channels 509 and 199 with only one round dish? I have mixed feeling as some guys say it can be done and others say it can not be done, is there anybody else that has tried this setup successfully?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had to point one round dish at 101 and one round dish at 119 to get my DST-3000 to work. To do this you need a two-in one-out 22khz switch. After I locked in the program guide, I could disconnect the dish pointed at 101 and still watch 119. I tried only one round dish pointed at 101 with "oval dish" selected and couldn't get HD programming.

Al Keown

[This message has been edited by Al K (edited 10-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Al K (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
200 Posts
As I indicated above.

I tried pointed a single round dish at 119 using the elliptical coordinates from the DST-3000. I could not get it to work... no signal strength...no program guide. The DST-3000 manual explicitely states you cannot receive 119 HDTV sat with a round dish. I think you can do it with two round dishes though. I did not feel like fooling around with it. I spent the money on an elliptical. It was easy to install. I have great signal strength on both 101 and 119, about the same as my round dish pointed at 101 servicing my RCA-Ultimate TV PVR.

Dan

(how many DTV receivers can a man have?? It is nice to be able record two things on my Ultimate setup and watch HDTV or other Direct TV stuff on my other!)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I also read the same thing on the manual for the DST-3000 so I just went out and purchased the elliptical dish. My signal for the 101 si 70 and for the 119 it is 50, but that is because there is a tree in the way so I will be moving my dish this weekend. Here in southern CA we dont see to much bad weather so I dont think I will have any problems if I was to keep the dish where its at now.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Well I moved my dish away from that evil tree and now my signals are almost 90 for the 101 sat and a little bit over 70 for the 119. I was going to try to adjust and try to get a better signal for the 119 sat but if the signal drops to 50 in bad weather I will still be able to get a good picture, considering that I was able to get a picture one time with a signal of 25 fromt he 119 sat. All in all I dont think the elliptical dish is that bad.

------------------

Juan

[This message has been edited by Juan (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dleithaus:
As I indicated above.

I tried pointed a single round dish at 119 using the elliptical coordinates from the DST-3000. I could not get it to work... no signal strength...no program guide. The DST-3000 manual explicitely states you cannot receive 119 HDTV sat with a round dish
Dan,

The problem was you used the elliptical coordinates. You need the 119 coordinates with a single dish. The DirecTV receivers, web sites, and even RCA tech support will not give you the settings for 119. Many posts here have good pointers. I use a small windows program on the Dish (yes it still works) web site. Actually with a little jr high math you can extrapolate the 119 settings if you have the elliptical settings & the 101 settings (of course ignore the skew).

Truthfully it really doesn't matter what the Tosh manual says as it's hukstering for DirecTV which wants you to get both slots so you buy MORE SD programming. Profit motive, go figure. It works. Many people have done. Besides a quick calculation it's no harder than the elliptical (actually it's much easier) and better reception if you go with two rounds.

I'm glad going the elliptical was a better route for you. It is more flexible, guide data, etc., but a round dish DST-3000 CAN be done.

Tim

·
Registered
704 Posts
Tim,

Why not just give Dan the 119 coordinates? Are they a secret?

------------------

Keith S.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tim,

Where can I get that windows program or could you be kind to figure out my coordinates for the 119? 80015. thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Since I now have the elliptical dish, the coordinates are not important to me. There is no need to calculate the coordinates based on my location, but thanks for the kind thought. I was kinda surprised, based on the average signal strength "map" in the DST-3000 manual, that I am getting 80-90's on the elliptical dish signal strength. It says for Colorado, I should be getting 60-70's. I am happy with my current setup. I still have to play around a little for the OTA HDTV broadcasts, but that is mostly because I have "rabbit ears". Those things take me back to the good ole days...

dan

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keithsimp:
Why not just give Dan the 119 coordinates? Are they a secret?
I'll give anyone too lazy to do a search the settings for 119 that will give me their zip code. Sure I could take city & state, do a zip code search, run the program, send the settings, and wipe the drool off someone's chin.

Here's the program location
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/c...on/index.shtml

Here's a site to find out without having to download, also discussing corrections for magnetic north.
http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html

As Dan said he has an elliptical & is happy, probably happier than many folks in the NE that have trouble hitting 119 with the elliptical. I'm glad Dan is happy.

The secrets out, yes you can hit 119 DirecTV with a round dish....

Tim

·
Registered
581 Posts
I got one round dish with a DTC100 when I check signal strength I get 80% on 101 and 70% on 119 Does this make sense.

But I get nothing on 199 or 509 channels I have set the setting on the receaver the ovel dish.

·
Registered
581 Posts
No just one round dish When I go to 509 and 199 I get the menue but no picture.

Should I be getting 80 plus signal for mre to get a picture.

Do I need both signal for it to work and can someone confirm that they get a signal from one dish .

I have a RCA DTC .

Thanks for any info.

Hugo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.