AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a round shaped in-ceiling center channel? I am looking to install the L, R, and C in the ceiling and I would like them all to match. Can someone throw me a bone?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 /forum/post/18230043

Does anyone make a round shaped in-ceiling center channel? I am looking to install the L, R, and C in the ceiling and I would like them all to match. Can someone throw me a bone?

Well if this is just a listen room fine.. but if it's a theater room it'll sound off anyway so don't expect to be blown away and pulled into the movies by any means comparable to having speakers in the proper placement.. the front stage should be anchored to the screen and not the ceiling... In other words..it's a terrible idea for you mains..and for the surrounds but especially the mains. If you want a sleek look go with in-walls and you'll be much happier with HT.

As far a round center channel...any speaker used for the left and right can and when possible "shoud be" used as the center as well.

The best systems have identical speakers all the way around.

Center channel speakers are only recomended when one of the mains can't be used... ex. you can't place one of the towers you used for mains as a center in front of your new Plasma Screen display. this is why the "center channel" was created..it's a compromise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, WAP is #1 priority for our living room and there's no place to install floor standing speakers anyways. Thanks for the advice about matching the center with the L and R. I don't expect to be blown away at all, but I'm sure it will be better than my TV speakers. BTW, here's the living room setup we are working with...

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 /forum/post/18230043

While I agree that in-ceiling speakers are less than an ideal choice for fidelity, there are some people who have no other option for various reasons.

I have been using 3 identical AIM8-One speakers for my LCR as well as for my 2 surrounds; I use a dual voice coil matching AIM8-DT-One for my surround backs.

Where the AIM series is aim-able perhaps the detrimental effects of in-ceiling speakers are slightly minimized. I do know that I have been really enjoying my system since they were installed.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 /forum/post/18230453

Unfortunately, WAP is #1 priority for our living room and there's no place to install floor standing speakers anyways. Thanks for the advice about matching the center with the L and R. I don't expect to be blown away at all, but I'm sure it will be better than my TV speakers. BTW, here's the living room setup we are working with...

After seeing that pic...I agree you have no other option exept maybe acoustic doors on your cabinet under your tv or some horizontal speakers above the TV. You may like the sound of running all of your speakers with the same material as in running in 5 channel vs a multi channel mode Dolby etc. This is how airports..sports bars etc run their system for "listening areas". Just an idea. heck you made no even want a center if you run it this way as on the ceiling may prove to really kill the center effect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm working with the exact same problem right now. Ceiling is the only option due to the layout... All the speakers except for the sub will be in the ceiling.

It's just a family room, but I still want at least partially pseudo theater experience...

It's not a requirement for me aesthetically that they be "in" the ceiling though.. would there be any merit in fashioning some speaker mounts to the ceiling, and angle them toward the listening area, instead of searching for specialty in-ceiling round speakers?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aperion Audio has some good ceiling speakers. I use them for surrounds and front height channels. I wouldn't expect them to work well for F/R & C channels though.

They also have some good inwall speakers. Their 6-IW may be a bit small to fill that space. But you may be a canidate for their LCR speaker. Their subwoofer and center speaker in piano black may be attractive enough to meet the WAF.

If you can find places for the L/R speakers, using a 7.1 system with PLIIz that utilizes in-ceiling speakers for front heights may help fill in the front of the sound stage around the TV.

Aperion has some very helpful technical staff, so you might inquire at their web site for technical help and see what they reccomend.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys... Just as long as it sounds "better" than my TV speakers, I can justify the cost. I'm probably going to start off with some simple monoprice 8" speakers and upgrade to some nicer in-ceiling speakers if need be.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyM3 /forum/post/18234443

Thanks guys... Just as long as it sounds "better" than my TV speakers, I can justify the cost. I'm probably going to start off with some simple monoprice 8" speakers and upgrade to some nicer in-ceiling speakers if need be.

I did exactly that for a family room tv, and think you'll be perfectly happy with it. Used them for the surrounds, too. I used a 5-pack 6" in-ceiling home theater kit from Smarthome.com (didn't know about Monoprice at the time), but have since been using MonoPrice 8" speakers for audio elsewhere in the house and might eventually upgrade the SmartHome ones to 8". The tweeters on all these are aimable, which helps. Monoprice actually makes a 15 degree angled (the midrange and tweeter) in-ceiling which I would have bought if I had known.

·
Registered
820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 /forum/post/18230458

While I agree that in-ceiling speakers are less than an ideal choice for fidelity, there are some people who have no other option for various reasons.

I have been using 3 identical AIM8-One speakers for my LCR as well as for my 2 surrounds; I use a dual voice coil matching AIM8-DT-One for my surround backs.

Where the AIM series is aim-able perhaps the detrimental effects of in-ceiling speakers are slightly minimized. I do know that I have been really enjoying my system since they were installed.

The SpeakerCraft gear and their sister-company, Proficient Audio make some nice LCR in ceiling speakers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts