AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get internet hooked up in my place and want to have my router ready for when they install it. I have my Pioneer 1018 going to my 55ST30 with a PS3 hooked up. I plan on eventually getting a Popcorn A-210(Unless someone convinces me to get a dune). What is a good wireless router for a small home system? Internet gaming, downloading and then streaming bluray iso's and video files to my TV? We have a Macbook pro and dell laptop that would be connected to it through out the day. Not looking to spend a ton. $50-$80 maybe. Here are 2 Im looking at. TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND

Buffalo N300

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb
There is a huge thread here on THE BEST ROUTER, go at it. But most of us here will say if u are streaming video, may want to consider WIRED.
Ill search for it. There is a 99% chance I will be wired into the Media Streamer and PS3. It will all be right next to each other but I would like a good wireless connection just in case. Is a gigabit connection necessary?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
 This linksys/cisco router is a great deal and will probably work fine your needs. I bought one awhile ago to use as a spare and I ended up using it as my main router. Suprisingly it was significantly faster than my old Netgear WNR3500 when copying large video files around my network (gigabit using jumbo frames). Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called AT&T to see what I was getting to know what to do. Im getting a 2wire Gateway Modem that acts as a router. What is my best course of action with that? Just hard wire everything since it will all be together and the 100 ethernet will be capable of streaming Bluray Iso's? Then wireless can provide surfing for my laptops. If is stream from laptop Ill just hardwire it into the network.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I went through hell trying to do a set up a year ago and these are my findings:

Cisco Linksys Routers: can manually set Channel Bandwidth to 40MHz to only allow wireless-N device connections and for wifi-N throughputs to stream high bitrate files - but the Cisco Linksys routers were never nice to seeing shared devices with my PC, servers and media players... Customer service was not able to solve my problem

NETGEAR - best and less hassle free in my opinon

TP-Link - Great Customer service...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.