AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a FYI to the speaker builders or future speaker builders. I had a couple Jasper circle jigs. I recently upgraded my router to this amazing porter cable 7539. I just went to do some wood work and found that my Jasper circle jigs are now useless as the holes don't match up. I was pretty irritated as Jasper does not even have an adapter I called them ( now i have a bunch of jigs that I cant use). I search around and found something called the 'Router Buddy Circle Jig' you can Google it ( they sell at PE as well). It is much better in my opinion. Trying to get the right pin into the right hole on the jasper was a pain especially when you were working underneath the router base. The router buddy makes this much easier. You only need a digital caliper to measure the distance and set what you need. Very nice indeed. Just a suggestion to anyone going to buy a circle jig. Everyone raves about the Jaspers but I really like the router buddy.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I used a Router Buddy for my quad-18, dual-dual opposed manifold IB.

As I remember, there was a couple aspects of it that I took exception to, however all in all it worked quite well. If I recall correctly, I don't believe I could've used it with diameters much larger than the sizes I needed,...it was extended to the maximum. I also thought it was a bit over-priced, but it was nice to support a small business such as that, as they're filling a niche market need.

Actually, I think some type of custom, roll your own DIY style jig could be effective as well. But you're right, the Router Buddy worked well mated to my plunge router. I believe I got it from PE too.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Good to hear. I liked my Jasper until cutting holes for my 18's and realizing none of them could cut that large. I now have a custom Jasper jig with the upgraded 18.5" hole option.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep, just got my Jasper Jig today and although I knew I would have to drill a couple of new holes in it for my Octo 18 project, I still like it because of it's simplicity. The other devices available certainly have their place and may be a bit more flexible and adjustable, but I like the Jasper for what it is. (I just wish it went up to 19")!!!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1471254/router-buddy-vs-jasper-circle-jig-issues#post_23278032

Good to hear. I liked my Jasper until cutting holes for my 18's and realizing none of them could cut that large. I now have a custom Jasper jig with the upgraded 18.5" hole option.

Jasper has a Model 300 that can cut up to a 52.75 diameter circle...just saying.

Porter Cable 7539, that's a beast of a handheld router. I leave my 3 1/4 HP in the router table. You're more man that I am. I thought that was a bit much to use by hand in my experience.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH  /t/1471254/router-buddy-vs-jasper-circle-jig-issues#post_23278012

I used a Router Buddy for my quad-18, dual-dual opposed manifold IB.

As I remember, there was a couple aspects of it that I took exception to, however all in all it worked quite well. If I recall correctly, I don't believe I could've used it with diameters much larger than the sizes I needed,...it was extended to the maximum. I also thought it was a bit over-priced, but it was nice to support a small business such as that, as they're filling a niche market need.

Actually, I think some type of custom, roll your own DIY style jig could be effective as well. But you're right, the Router Buddy worked well mated to my plunge router. I believe I got it from PE too.

! also have a milescraft for doing extra large cut outs....its not bad but not awesome. in fact i need to see if that fits my new router as well....

Milescraft 12230713 Router Guide Kit

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean  /t/1471254/router-buddy-vs-jasper-circle-jig-issues#post_23278252

Jasper has a Model 300 that can cut up to a 52.75 diameter circle...just saying.

Porter Cable 7539, that's a beast of a handheld router. I leave my 3 1/4 HP in the router table. You're more man that I am. I thought that was a bit much to use by hand in my experience.

i agree it is kind of big.it was a present.... i probably would have got something a bit smaller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts