AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I check for firmware upgrades on our router? We have the D-Link DIR-655. If it does need an upgrade, is it easy to do? Keep in mind, I know nothing about this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
log into the router. I dont know if its 192.168.1.1 or maybe .100 at the end but then you can see in the options menu and it probably has instructions. you ttype that address in a browser thats how you access your router. ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/...DIR-655_ds.pdf

some routers you can use 3rd party firmware like tomato or ww-drt which is superior to the manufacturers but your router supports neither.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC
How do I check for firmware upgrades on our router? We have the D-Link DIR-655. If it does need an upgrade, is it easy to do? Keep in mind, I know nothing about this. Thanks.
log into the router, on the webpage top right corner it should tell you the firmware version

check dlink website for the latest firmware version

once you get the latest file go to the tools page and select firmware in left toolbar, go from there

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask
some routers you can use 3rd party firmware like tomato or ww-drt which is superior to the manufacturers but your router supports neither.
In what way is it superior? Mine supports ww-drt, I've just never understood what advantage I would see from switching.

Is there some respect in which it will perform better? If it's just a matter of being easier to configure, I don't really care becuase it's already configured.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20779580

In what way is it superior? Mine supports ww-drt, I've just never understood what advantage I would see from switching.

Is there some respect in which it will perform better? If it's just a matter of being easier to configure, I don't really care becuase it's already configured.

Most third party firmware offers more features then the manufacturers firmware.

for example:

1)change the maximum number of simultaneous connections, useful for torrenting

2)In my opinion my better QoS adjustment compared to Linksys

3)Ability to use your router as a bridge or a repeater

There are tens if not hundreds of reasons to use 3rd party firmware but it doesn't mean that by default it's better, sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
ww-drt supports putting up a paywall if you so desire or you can farm out your bandwidth with add supported revenue. Not that I do it but mine can do it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My Netgear has a firmware version check and upgrade utility built into the GUI... I wouldn't be surprised if D-Link does as well.

Make sure you backup your router config before doing any upgrade.

If you are manually downloading the firmware, you may want to lookup the procedures for a 30-30-30 hard reset. If you Google "30 30 30 router reset", you'll see lots of pages on it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Beside opening up more features, I have a wifi device(windows CE 4.x) that won't connect to d-link or netgear stock firmwares but works flawlessly w/ DD-WRT loaded on them.

If 3rd party firmwares or manufactures for that matter don't offer anything you might want/need over stock(features, performance, stability, etc.) I wouldn't bother.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.