AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Leviton cabinet...with 4 Cat5e lines to 4 rooms in the house...

I currently have 1 cable modem...(cable being installed this afternoon)..

I purchased the leviton hub yesterday...but didn't see how to hook it up to the cable modem...So I think I need a router...

Any recommendations.??

Also, does anyone know of a cable modem that would install IN the cabinet...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
If you are only using one IP address from your cable provider, you'll need a router. If you've signed up for multiple IP addresses from the cable company (at an extra cost), than a standard hub will work.

In any case you'll go ethernet out of the cable modem into the router/hub, and the other computers will also be connected to the router/hub.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not trying to confuse things, but go with the Linksys model that includes wireless 802.11b and a 4-port router. This gives you the flexibility to do a wireless card for a laptop or two.

I have no wires in my house at this point. The wireless has been plenty fast enough that I've never used the 4 ports.

Linksys is about to release a wireless printer connection thingy. That will allow me to de-slave a desktop.

$0.02

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am planning on getting DSL soon. Here is my question.

Can I have my DSL coming into the wireless device in my basement or will DSL have to go to a PC first?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Phone company => through wall of house => DSL 'modem' => Linksys wireless/4-port router => air or wire to computer

The range is pretty good. I always try to put the wireless 'bridge' in the middle of the house (vertically and horizontally). This gives you the best coverage usually.

I'm a bit rusty on this, but I believe that this is still true. Most of these devices transmit most of their signal horizontally. Think of a donut as opposed to a sphere.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I also recommend the lynksys Router switch, I have the 4 port model. I also have a Lucent Orinoco wireless residential Gateway connected to the Lynksys router. I can go outside and across the street with my Laptop. I agree that the wireless is good for roaming with Laptops, However, I would not suggest it for your primary Lan source.

The 802.11 speeds are sufficient for Internet browsing and some small file transfers, but that's about it. They average around 3 MBPS if your not too far from the access point. You can barely achieve the 11 MBPS they claim to get if your within 25 feet.

If you can wait another month or 2, They have the new standard 802.11a and this will get much higher LAN bandwidth. Up to 54MBPS speed. You will be glad you waited, especially if you intend to use a server for any type of MP3's or video. Today's wireless just does not cut it for media.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did have to laugh when I read that there is a NEW standard coming out too! 802.11g. It is supposed to exist in the same 2.4ghz range and will allow for backward compatibility between the old network cards and the new access points. I don't remember the speeds the new standard is supposed to have but I image they are similar to the 802.11a's 54mhz.

So much for a stable standard! :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Most of the cable modems fit into the cabinet, next to a DSL/CABLE router. If you choose the Linksys 4 port with the wireless port, make sure you mount it OUTSIDE the metal cabinet, otherwise your range will suffer. I am not a big fan of the wireless stuff right now. security and speed issues are the problem for me. I have used the ASANTE , SMC and Linksys units with no trouble. THe SMC 8 port is reasonable in price.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanxc Everyone...Today Ipurchased the SMC Barricade 4-port Router...

Wireless doesn't interest me...For $69.00 This should do the trick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.