AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Netgear wireless N router that has worked fairly well with my Dell laptop. I've been using it for my small business, but I've recently realized it has some limitations that I must get around.

1. There is no VPN passthrough. I will need to connect to my file/media server remotely, so I need a solution to this.

2. If I'm downloading files, transferring large amounts of data (the server acts as my media server as well), my Vonage lines are essentially useless. When I'm done downloading, i have to unplug the power from the router and plug it back in to get my Vonage to work.

3. The wired connections are only 100mbs.

So I'm looking for a solution. I like the wireless performance of the draft-N. I guess the VPN passthrough is a specific feature I need to look for. Would introducing a gigabit switch into the network help at all with speed? Or do i need to just find a router with gigabit LAN ports. Is this the reason my Vonage gets choppy when I'm downloading files? Would a gigabit router solve all of my problems?

Here is my setup:

Cable internet -> router -> 4 wired connections (Vonage [1 phone line, 1 fax line], HTPC, Media/file server, laptop).

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Without more detailed information, here are some thoughts:

1. VPN Passthrough - First, is this confirmed by Netgear documentation or are you drawing this conclusion from testing? What protocols/ports are you trying to passthrough? If ESP/ISAKMP and /or PPTP are blocked, you could always go to an SSL VPN solution like SSL Explorer or a dedicated SSL VPN device. SSL Explorer will require that you configure a new PC on your LAN but the software is open source (free). More details on the "no VPN passthrough" and exactly what you are trying to achieve would help.

2. Vonage issues - Again, without more details, I will assume that your file download is chewing up all of the bandwidth on your Internet connection. There could be downstream congestion in your provider's network or on the Internet, in general, but only testing will verify. I don't want to start an argument here but on my educated and experienced opinion, VoIP is simply a bad idea except for cases of toll avoidance. Anyhow, if your Netgear device device supports either, enable class of service, CoS, or quality of service, QoS, to prioritze traffic type. This will allow you to permit Vonage traffic through first, while your file dowload only uses whatever bandwidth is left. This is a common issue with VoIP. On the reboot thing, beats me. Sounds like a bug.

3. LAN port speed - It's hard to say since I don't know exactly why you included this info. For voice issues, see above and below. For NTSC video transfer, wired 100Mbps should be more than enough to transport video over your LAN. For HD video, you are probably on the edge. Again, I am only guessing since I don't know all of the issues. remember, speed fixes many things but ONLY on your LAN. For example, if your Internet connection speed is the cause of problems and is only 3Mbps, increasing your LAN speed to 10Gbps won't do squat. You would need a bigger Internet connection.

If I read correctly, you presented two issues; choppy voice when downloading files and no remote access to your media server. My suggestion on the choppy voice is to first find out what is causing it. A solution can't be crafted until the cause is identified. Remember, though, that choppy voice can be caused anywhere from from your handset to the other party's handset. IThe most common causes of bad VoIP performance over the Internet is Internet congestion and latency. If your LAN is smoking fast but there is some latency intorduced on the Internet, there is nothing you can do about it. There's your trade-off for $25 per month unlimited nationwide calling.

On the VPN deal, assuming that you just want outside access to your media server, there are a million solutions. If I were you, I would look into a single device that can act as a router, firewall, switch, and SSL VPN gateway. I think Linksys makes one. The model is something like RVL-200. Check it out first. From there, you are probably going to have to expend a bit more effort to achieve your goal. There are many viable solutions but the one-box Linksys solution would be the easiest.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaytse66 /forum/post/0

2. If I'm downloading files, transferring large amounts of data (the server acts as my media server as well), my Vonage lines are essentially useless. When I'm done downloading, i have to unplug the power from the router and plug it back in to get my Vonage to work.

Chris,

I know someone who has this router : (something from linksys) He had the exact same issues while using VoIP services and his router did not support QoS

He was able to install a third party OS / firmware and got the QOS features. No Kidding !

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDesforges /forum/post/0

Without more detailed information, here are some thoughts:

1. VPN Passthrough - First, is this confirmed by Netgear documentation or are you drawing this conclusion from testing? What protocols/ports are you trying to passthrough? If ESP/ISAKMP and /or PPTP are blocked, you could always go to an SSL VPN solution like SSL Explorer or a dedicated SSL VPN device. SSL Explorer will require that you configure a new PC on your LAN but the software is open source (free). More details on the "no VPN passthrough" and exactly what you are trying to achieve would help.

Well, I think the issue might actually be my limited understanding about how VPN works. I said that my router does not support it based on the fact that the manual doesn't explain how to set it up, and it's not listed as one of the router's features. I also looked on Netgear's website, and it doesn't list the WNR834B as one that supports it. On the other hand, some web stores (like TigerDirect) show my router as supporting L2TP & PPTP VPN protocols.

I think what I need is a little more education on VPN. If I do not need to buy a different router, I certainly do not want to. Does anybody have any good resources I can check out? Or better yet, does anybody have some instruction on how to set up the router? Is it just a matter of forwarding a couple ports to my server? Would using a solution like the SSL Explorer you mention work even if VPN passthrough truly isn't a feature of my router? I'm still pretty new to all of this networking stuff.

As far as my VoIP issues, I can get around that. I might get rid of the Vonage service completely, but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

·
Registered
934 Posts
Dude.. I can only help with the Vonage issue, and I think you can colve it by putting the vonage adapter BEFORE the router. So:

cable modem -> vonage adapter -> router.

I have AT&T call vantage and this is how I do it. I also setup the TA to have my router's WAN IP address as the DMZ zone so that all traffic destined for my network goes to the router. I then use the router to forward ports to each computer as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.