AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I'm going to purchase my first router and need a recommendation. I plan to hard wire to my computer and sony bluray player with cat 6 for streaming netflix, but thought I might go ahead a get a router that also has wireless capabilities for the future (ie laptop and/or wii). I'm hoping to come in around $60 or less. Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbreck /forum/post/18306723

Please help. I'm going to purchase my first router and need a recommendation. I plan to hard wire to my computer and sony bluray player with cat 6 for streaming netflix, but thought I might go ahead a get a router that also has wireless capabilities for the future (ie laptop and/or wii). I'm hoping to come in around $60 or less. Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Belkin G router with 4 lan ports and wireless. Paid about $25 a couple of months ago. I was looking at the N wireless earlier today and found a couple of Trendnet Wireless N, with 4 lan and 1 wan port for around $30. I saw a Linksys similar for around $35 IIRC. If you are willing to pay $60 you should have a number of choices.

BTW, the Belkin G MIMO router I have streams Netflix to a Roku XR and a Panasonic DMP-BD85K. I get HD over that router with no problem. Someone noted that the G router is plenty fast and the advantage of the N wireless is greater distance for a connection.

I would probably go with one of the less expensive N wireless routers for future use.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I decided to go with the lower end N router. I picked up the lynksys wrt120N for $50 locally. I found the same router online for $35 but thought I would buy locally incase I decided to return it/exchange it. Do you know if there is much difference between using cat5, cat5e or cat6 to hard wire with the bluray player for streaming netflix?

·
UHD Addict
39,240 Posts
Category 6 cable but no gigabit router?

You're only doing 10/100 mbs speeds so cat5, cat5e, and Cat 6 won't make a difference in your streaming speeds. If you were running gigabit, you would want Cat5e or Cat6 cable(or cat5 cable produced after the Cat5e specs were announced)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is gigabit worth the extra money for streaming video like netflix if I'm running hardwire to the bluray player?

·
UHD Addict
39,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbreck /forum/post/18340696

Is gigabit worth the extra money for streaming video like netflix if I'm running hardwire to the bluray player?

Gigabit won't make any difference with Netflix.

it will make a big difference with transfers between PCs on your network.

And also help if you have alot of devices on your network. I have over seventy devices on my network so each of my twelve switches are gigabit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts