AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting quotes to have the 3rd stall of my garage converted into a media room, roughly 10x15. I already have most of the audio components, but will be going to an Atmos setup with 4 overhead speakers and upgrading the Pre/Pro. I've already gotten quotes to convert the garage and make it part of the house, but I'm not sure who to use to run the speaker wires and get the screen from. I've contacted a few companies, but I'm already having trouble getting them to come out and get me pricing. Anyone know a good A/V company that could do all the speaker runs?

Reactions: Louis Bartay

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are you looking for a company or a guy that can do it. I have a guy that is doing mine. Very good so far. Pm if you are interested and I'll send you his info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tom,

I moved to Georgetown, north of Austin, 2 years ago. But running speaker wire is one of the easiest do-it -yourself jobs in a theater build. I would be happy to talk you through most of it if you feel up to trying to tackle this yourself. If you would like to talk, send me a PM with your contact info and your availability.

best regards,

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom,

I moved to Georgetown, north of Austin, 2 years ago. But running speaker wire is one of the easiest do-it -yourself jobs in a theater build. I would be happy to talk you through most of it if you feel up to trying to tackle this yourself. If you would like to talk, send me a PM with your contact info and your availability.

best regards,
Thanks for the reply. I've done the wiring myself before, but since I will be having multiple things installed, I prefer just to contract this one out.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet. I'm waiting to get the quote back from my GC first.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not yet. I'm waiting to get the quote back from my GC first.
Here is another contractor, I met him multiple times in person, great guy and VERY professional, clean install.

http://www.kmrav.com/

PM and I can give you his direct email address, he is located west Houston, but his company does Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @xylem. I've got some numbers coming this week from a company that I email gotten some good recommendations on. Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been a while! So, I'm still in the planning phase, and hope to make it to the construction phase sometime in 2018. So, I'm thinking of going with a 2:39:1 screen and doing acoustically transparent, but I'm trying to figure out how. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
So what kinda quote did you get? I am in Houston as well (technically Katy) and I'm trying to get my first projector installation and totally lost about how to get everything installed correctly. I have run wires before but it was a lot easier when using a TV than pj :)

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
If you are doing an AT screen, and the room is 10x15', then why not simply do a 16x9 screen since you are width limited anyways?

A single upper sliding mask would accommodate any screen ratio from 16x9 to 2.4 scope images. You could lace in AT screen material into a frame,
simply over-sized, and create the screen's upper and side borders with velvet wrapped boards. The upper mask could slide up and down, to create the
fourth border.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are doing an AT screen, and the room is 10x15', then why not simply do a 16x9 screen since you are width limited anyways?

A single upper sliding mask would accommodate any screen ratio from 16x9 to 2.4 scope images. You could lace in AT screen material into a frame,
simply over-sized, and create the screen's upper and side borders with velvet wrapped boards. The upper mask could slide up and down, to create the
fourth border.
Thats actually a really good idea! I got stuck on the 2:39:1 screen after doing too much research and came across anamorphic lenses. Then looking into it more, I unsold myself, lol.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what kinda quote did you get? I am in Houston as well (technically Katy) and I'm trying to get my first projector installation and totally lost about how to get everything installed correctly. I have run wires before but it was a lot easier when using a TV than pj :)
I'm still in the process of getting quotes - has been a slow process. We held off on the project after Harvey - wanted to let those that needed contractors get their work done first.

Are you just going from a TV to a projector in the room, so no audio wiring too? If you have attic access, you could probably do a lot yourself. After dealing with some of these A/V places, I think I'm better off installing most of this stuff myself.

Reactions: iceatola

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'm still in the process of getting quotes - has been a slow process. We held off on the project after Harvey - wanted to let those that needed contractors get their work done first.

Are you just going from a TV to a projector in the room, so no audio wiring too? If you have attic access, you could probably do a lot yourself. After dealing with some of these A/V places, I think I'm better off installing most of this stuff myself.
We got hit really hard by Harvey as well and I lost all my AV gear in the flood. So now we are in a new house and I'm putting everything together again. Since this house has completely backed out media room, I got the idea of putting a projector instead of the TV, like I've done in the past.

Yes, it will have full audio as well, which is not an issue but the major difficulty that I'm having is installing the pj and running power to it. This house is a 1.5 story so even though there is easy attic access for the floor below, media room is on the 1.5 floor and the attic access to is very difficult. Even with the large ladder I had hard time getting up there due to very small space.

I emailed couple of AV installers from FB and they are ridiculously expensive. I'll probably end up just running wires via wire raceway close to the baseboard instead of going through the attic. It won't be as pretty but since the room is completely black and raceway will be black as well, it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We got hit really hard by Harvey as well and I lost all my AV gear in the flood. So now we are in a new house and I'm putting everything together again. Since this house has completely backed out media room, I got the idea of putting a projector instead of the TV, like I've done in the past.

Yes, it will have full audio as well, which is not an issue but the major difficulty that I'm having is installing the pj and running power to it. This house is a 1.5 story so even though there is easy attic access for the floor below, media room is on the 1.5 floor and the attic access to is very difficult. Even with the large ladder I had hard time getting up there due to very small space.

I emailed couple of AV installers from FB and they are ridiculously expensive. I'll probably end up just running wires via wire raceway close to the baseboard instead of going through the attic. It won't be as pretty but since the room is completely black and raceway will be black as well, it shouldn't be too bad.
I’m sorry to hear about your house. We are in Mont Belvieu, 30 miles East of downtown, and we were fortunate not to flood. Our detention pond behind my house came close to cresting, but thankfully it didn’t.

I’ve run into a lot of snags with A/V installers - they aren’t very responsive, they charge too much, and some of the materials quoted are low quality. Plus, finding one that will work with a GC is not easy. I’m just trying to get the room built out and will probably slowly build it the way I want. Let me know what you decide to do. I will let you know if I find someone that does try to overcharge.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m finally about to start my build - we ended up deciding on our attic space above our garage instead of the 3rd stall of our garage. The room will be 14x18 and will have some pony walls. I know the pony walls aren’t ideal, but it will allow more front wall space to spread my speakers apart and allow for 2 rows of 4 theater seats. I will start posting pictures as we go. I. Going with a JVC 4k projector, 100” silver ticket screen, power recline HT seats from 4seating.com (they offer back row seats that are taller, so no risers), and adding 4 overhead Klipsch speakers to match my others. Check my signature, just upgraded to the Marantz AV7704 and added the Emotiva XPA-7 - so I have 12 200 watt channels (only need 11). I can’t wait!

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah! Some of these installers are ridiculously priced! Trust me I had my share of them come out to my place! And ai have a home theater background!! So much BS they throw at ya!! Better doing it yourself!’ Save yourself a lot of money. I shopped around for sales, clearance items, and did my research! Even built my own wall! Took me around a year to complete it! But I finished it last May!!!
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Moviegirl45

1 - 20 of 62 Posts