Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have taken the plunge and decided to build a HT system. I will be using the following items.

1. Optoma H31 projector and screen

2. Onkyo s770 HTIB

3. 6 disc CD changer (not purchased yet)

4. Desktop computer with 3.2G AMD HD, Windows XP, 512 ram, Radeon 9600 sound card

I would like to know how to do the following. I did do some searching but I really don't know what I am even lookin for? :) I want to route the audio and video from my computer to the onkyo receiver without losing the ability to view the same a/v on my computer monitor. I thought at first a simple a b switchbox would work but they are either one or the other. Also I am concerned about losing quality through this type of switch? Any and all help provided is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Check out the Home Theater Computer area for lots of HTPC help. First, I checked and your Radeon 9600 card looks like it has dual screen capability, but I didn't do an exhaustive search. What I describe here requires a dual monitor setup.

First, audio and video will be hooked up independantly. Hook the video directly to your display devices and bypass the receiver for video. Hook the audio up as you see fit, but most likely it will go to the receiver and not to the display devices.

For video, it really is as simple as hooking both display devices up to your card. You can hook your monitor up using VGA and your projector using DVI. Then go into the graphics card settings and set it up as "clone." This will display the same things on both displays (but also requires the same resolution on each screen, so hopefully you can work with that). If clone doesn't work, you can try some other settings to see which one you like best, but it may not display the exact same things all the time.

Currently I use a two display system where my regular work appears on my normal monitor, but MCE and MyHD both appear automatically on the HDTV I have. I eventually plan on getting rid of the monitor once I get everything tweaked correctly.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.