AVS Forum banner

Routing Cable and or tubing behind drywall?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  arsenic0 
#1 ·
So, i successfully mounted the TV above my gas fireplace.

Note that its a gas fireplace and it juts out from the main room about 1.5 feet.

My goal is to wire from the front above the fireplace to the right side of the fireplace on the short 1.5' wall closer to ground level where my AV rack will go.

Looking inside the holes ive cut so far there is plenty of room, on the right side there's probably a 2 foot clearance between the wall and the side of the gas fireplace enclosure, and quite a bit of space on top as well.

Long story short, im trying to see if there is some product or technique i can use to better "route" the cable tube i put in, as well as the powerbridge/romex cable i plan to run.

Obviously i cant just let it dangle down diagonally to the right wall, as the slack would likely touch the metal frame of the fireplace and melt causing a fire. Even if it wouldnt touch if i pulled all of the lines super taught, which it wont..i'd be hesitant that it would be too close, but its hard to tell.

Short of totally cutting a huge swath of drywall out above the fireplace(which i'd rather not do as its textured and could be a PITA to fix) im out of ideas for how to do this...

And no, the Significant other wont take "Just never turn the fireplace on" route...ive tried.

See less See more
#2 ·
I did something quite similar to you, but for a wood burning fireplace. Mine was insulated and I could see that through my holes. My wires weren't close to touching the FP either, but with that insulation on there, I wouldn't have worried about that.

Is there any way you can sneak your hand in one of the holes and add in a way to hold the wires up? Some sort of wire hanger inside that cavity?

#3 ·
Its possible i suppose,, there is a stud not far away.

After looking at the setup again last night i realized that there is a stud framing the edge of the fireplace that has power cables already routed on it, then realized they were the cables that went to the gas fireplace switches for the fan and igniter.

Hoping to take that double gang box out and be able to get a better look and reach inside as its right above where i want my box to go.

#5 ·
I literally have a room behind my fireplace. I was able to access it from the master BR closet behind the fireplace. I used a drywall access panel to cover the hole, allowing future access to this chase. What's behind your fireplace?

You might be able to use curved/bent EMT, electrical metallic tubing, to stretch from one point to another. Use a couple, 1 for power, the other for LV. Check the sizing of the HDMI connector, usually pretty large.

I've read of some people using heat/flame to bend the gray electrical PVC conduit.

Will your AV rack hide a cut into the side of the fireplace? You may be able to get away with another 2 gang hole over there, but you might be able to go larger, if needed, if the rack/equipment will hide it.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad  /t/1468632/routing-cable-and-or-tubing-behind-drywall#post_23214538

I literally have a room behind my fireplace. I was able to access it from the master BR closet behind the fireplace. I used a drywall access panel to cover the hole, allowing future access to this chase. What's behind your fireplace?

You might be able to use curved/bent EMT, electrical metallic tubing, to stretch from one point to another. Use a couple, 1 for power, the other for LV. Check the sizing of the HDMI connector, usually pretty large.

I've read of some people using heat/flame to bend the gray electrical PVC conduit.

Will your AV rack hide a cut into the side of the fireplace? You may be able to get away with another 2 gang hole over there, but you might be able to go larger, if needed, if the rack/equipment will hide it.

Unfortunately not so lucky, mines up against the side of the house so nothing behind it but more wood.

I'll have to look into the electrical metallic tubing, im not 100% sold on the cable sheathing i got, even though it fits all the cables fine its ribbed and is a giant PITA to get cables through, not to mention its super flexible which means i have to attach it somehow to a stud on the side to pull it out or else the weight of the cables droops it down too close for my comfort to the top metal of the fireplace.

My plan is to do a double gang box. One will be the Powerbridge(the single socket one) and the other will be the av cables. I debated going with the single Powerbridge that has all of it built in, but i already have the single gang holes cut on both sides, and looking at the dimensions of the power bridge there would be a small gap around the top edge..so im stuck just doing a double gang box for both sides which isnt a big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.