AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the A/V receiver section as well but since it involves video I wanted to take a shot here.

So...is this as good as going direct into the panel? My concern is that you lose something for every conversion so I'm thinking this is a convenience vs. quality issue. If the upconvert is 99.9999% as good as the original signal (digi cable, dvd, etc.) then it may not be an issue. The Denon 3803 advertises it's new DDSC 100MHz chip as being great, but if it's not as good as direct feed it doesn't add any value to me and I'll get a lower model instead (1804, etc.)

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I have tried it both ways (Onkyo 696) and my honest opinion is that the difference in PQ is "NEGLIGIBLE". Go for it if you need to.

Dave

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
I have routed both my component STB feeds and the DVD via the 3803 without any perceptible loss. I have not "metered" them but to the eye, I cannot tell the difference. (And I did try direct and non). The 3803 also has the ability to route S Video and Composite and up convert to component, which also works well. (No loss)

My only wish is for MORE component inputs!

Therese

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ditto on what wpwj40e said. I too needed more component video inputs so I had to purchase an Audio Authority switcher and routed that as well through my 3803.

-Skip

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I've even done the routing on an allegedly "inadequate" Denon 4800 with no visible loss.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The 3803 does an excellent job of not destroying the signal.

I've done the same thing others have done, Direct vs. via Denon and if there is a difference I sure don't see it.

It has huge "WAF" appeal for its ability to simplify (KISS) steps associated with cable, dvd, etc..

Harley

·
Registered
80 Posts
What is the most reliable way to control your setup with the Denon? I will have my equipment all hidden (another wife thing). Pronto, etc.? My wife does like the idea of having a "neat" remote.

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dowlingm
What is the most reliable way to control your setup with the Denon? I will have my equipment all hidden (another wife thing). Pronto, etc.? My wife does like the idea of having a "neat" remote.

Thanks
Home Theatre Master MX-500 is an outstanding unit. Even my wife can use it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Have a Harmony and my kids can use it! Got rid of the pronto(another setup) as it was too irritiating to use. MX-500 is great - but Harmony was just a tad simpler for my Kids and was easier for me 'cause Harmony does all the hard stuff!(Customer Support)

Therese

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Another vote for the MX-500.

Now available is MX-700 and MX-800 with the future holding a MX-3000.

Go to Remote Central. com for all the details.

Dave

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Originally found the remote central.com when people here were suggesting the Phillips Pronto. You can get the TSU-1000 for around $100.

Now people in this post are suggesting the MX500 or 700 or even 800.

Which would you suggest and why, Philips Pronto or the MX series?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Original topic was/is whether routing a component signal thru an A/V receiver (in this case a 3803) degrades the signal or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I realized that after I posted. Sorry. I really like Denon receivers and glad to hear all the success people have with the 3803. This is the unit I want to get if I could ever decide on the plasma.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dowlingm
I realized that after I posted. Sorry. I really like Denon receivers and glad to hear all the success people have with the 3803. This is the unit I want to get if I could ever decide on the plasma.
h

FWIW, I am very happy with my Denon 3803. It was a good choice for me. Of course, I am in love with my MX-500 as well. (another high jack attempt).

Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought the 3803 for the upconvert feature alone. Works flawlessly. All it is doing is switching the signal, no processing, so the folks at Denon would have to be idiots to have used a component so cheap that it would somehow degrade the signal. You could build a switch out of hangers and tinfoil and not have any signal loss if it was shielded. However, the thing for me is that I have a 503CMX Plasma, and if you buy the Aurora A303 video card, it only processes the signal coming in via SVideo. Your Denon will connect via Component on input 2 which is NOT processed by the A303. So if you let the Denon up-convert SVideo signals such as your TIVO, you are sending it to your display over input 2 and it is not being processed by the A303. If you connect a SVideo cable from your Denon to the A303, you can use the A303's input 3 and get the benefits of the Aurora scaler. But that defeats the purpose of the Denon and requires that you switch inputs on the plasma when you switch sources on the Denon. The solution for me was to forego the A303's scaler, which I did not prefer over the 5002's scaler anyway (but that is another VERY long thread.) My conclusion: Get the Denon and connect the Plasma via component. Switch everything through the Denon and you have the greatest amount of simplicity and flexibility with no loss of PQ.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.