AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I found you guys while trying to figure out if this setup will work and you seem like a very helpful, knowledgeable bunch.?
I have an idol pro 3988 mixer, a Sony "smart TV" (which right now is making me feel dumb) and a Sony 7.2 channel receiver.?
The only speaker we have at the moment is a?Sonosplaybar which as you know only has optical audio input.?
Is it at all possible to use this with YouTube cast to the TV for karaoke??
I've tried: ARC HDMI to the receiver from the TV and RCA from the mixer to the receiver. Of course that shouldn't work bc the receiver can only handle one source. I changed the input settings to analog on the receiver but not even the mic is picked up by the TV even if I try different HDMI.?
I'm thinking I need to get the audio from the TV to the mixer then back to the TV somehow to use this soundbar, and maybe I don't need the receiver at all.?
I don't even know if I'm making any sense anymore!! Ha ha.?
Thanks in advance.?

Ed

·
Premium Member
88,935 Posts
Hi, I found you guys while trying to figure out if this setup will work and you seem like a very helpful, knowledgeable bunch.?
I have an idol pro 3988 mixer, a Sony "smart TV" (which right now is making me feel dumb) and a Sony 7.2 channel receiver.?
The only speaker we have at the moment is a?Sonosplaybar which as you know only has optical audio input.?
Is it at all possible to use this with YouTube cast to the TV for karaoke??
I've tried: ARC HDMI to the receiver from the TV and RCA from the mixer to the receiver. Of course that shouldn't work bc the receiver can only handle one source. I changed the input settings to analog on the receiver but not even the mic is picked up by the TV even if I try different HDMI.?
I'm thinking I need to get the audio from the TV to the mixer then back to the TV somehow to use this soundbar, and maybe I don't need the receiver at all.?
I don't even know if I'm making any sense anymore!! Ha ha.?
Thanks in advance.?

Ed
The mixer apparently only has analog audio inputs/outputs so then ...

TV (optical output) --->
Optical splitter --->
(1) Optical to analog converter ---> mixer ---> analog to optical converter --> Sonos Playbar
(2) Optical to Sonos Playbar (for non-karaoke audio)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. So with this setup I wouldn't need the receiver and would have to swap out the audio feed to the Sonos?
Would ARC HDMI from TV -> receiver, RCA ->mixer-> RCA->TV-optical->Sonos work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand. And if I try to route the output from the mixer via RCA to the RCA input on the TV it would not work so I'll need 2 optical converters.
One from TV to mixer and one from mixer to Sonos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
I hooked everything up but the only way I can get sound from the tv and the mic is to take one RCA and plug it into music out and the other in mic out. However, I can't control volume for each input separately this way.
What am I doing wrong?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts