AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left work early to take at look at one of my favorite movies on HBO in HDTV.

What is with HBO? IT's low res 4/3 pan and scan. As bad as it gets.

I really want to see this movie so I guess it's DVD time.

I wonder if a e-mail to HBO will help?

The HBO schedule lists it as HDTV.

Frank

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Yup. Started the recording and then stopped it. HBO is up to their usual antics. I'm betting that "Hunt for Red October" will suffer from the same fate, that being HBO blundering on top of HBO pan and butchering.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
ROXANNE is also on Showtime this month and listed as HD, so maybe we are still in luck. Showtime shows their flicks OAR anyway, so this would be better.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
ROXANNE is also on Showtime this month and listed as HD, so maybe we are still in luck. Showtime shows their flicks OAR anyway, so this would be better.
Thanks. I hope Showtime runs it in HD. Their monthly guide says 4/3 upconvert but their daily guide says HD.

I'll take an OAR version over HBO CropOVision anyday.

Frank

·
Registered
800 Posts
Pay no attention at all to the Showtime monthly PDF guide. It's the least reliable source of information. I get the impression that it's prepared and released well before most of the HD and widescreen information for the month is determined, and then it's never updated.

The daily listings on the Web site usually are, eventually, correct (though last month they weren't updated until we were well into April).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
I left work early to take at look at one of my favorite movies on HBO in HDTV.

What is with HBO? IT's low res 4/3 pan and scan. As bad as it gets.

I really want to see this movie so I guess it's DVD time.

I wonder if a e-mail to HBO will help?

The HBO schedule lists it as HDTV.

Frank
Hi Frank,

Long time no see...

Anyway, it's probably another screw up like The Fifth Element. Give 'em another week or two & they'll figure it out.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

Anyway, it's probably another screw up like The Fifth Element. Give 'em another week or two & they'll figure it out.
Ken, HBO is supposed to be a first class operation. They are supposed to be experienced. They've had 4 years to get this right. They had this screwup with The Fifth Element. I would have thought that would have been a strong enough impetus to make sure they got it right for Roxanne and Hunt for Red October. Well, they didn't. HBO just doesn't care about their customers. I can't reach any other conclusions.

I tried 4 times to get an HD recording of TFE before they actually showed it in HD. I don't want to do that again with Roxanne and "Hunt". I'd just rather watch the new DVD of Hunt that will be out next week.

Between non OAR and showing 4:3 versions of HD movies, HBO is clearly demonstrating that they are NOT a leader in HD movies and is anything but a first class operation.

I've got some old phone numbers for Bob Zitter and others at HBO. I don't know if they are valid anymore, but I'm going to try to call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
Ken, HBO is supposed to be a first class operation. They are supposed to be experienced. They've had 4 years to get this right.
I can't disagree with you here. I wasn't making excuses, just explaining what happened.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
I can't disagree with you here. I wasn't making excuses, just explaining what happened.
I know. I was just furious over this last HBO blunder. After all the years of being frustrated with HBO's P&S policy, I was looking forward to The Fifth Element in OAR. And we know about the frustration that occurred with that nonsense. Then we get excited about Roxanne and Hunt and find the same problem. Advertised as HD (and hopefully older OAR transfers) and then get two 4:3 SDs in a row. It really frustrates me because I don't want to support HBO, but there is still so relatively little HD, then one hates to give up anything by dropping HBO.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Roxanne is on right now on Showtime (1 pm PDT, 5/3). It's HD and not an upconvert. And it's in OAR (2.35). It looks very good. I synced up my DVD of Roxanne and Showtime's HD transfer looks so much better. Now if only Showtime would also have Hunt for Red October, I could ignore HBO, which I'd love to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.