AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about half way through with my HT construction (I haven't had time to take pictures unfortunately). I had ordered some Roxul from Lowes to fill the spaces in the stage and rear riser. Unfortunately, Lowes don't seem able to find Roxul anywhere. After searching online, the only place I could find some was ATS, but the shipping costs are prohibitively expensive. Sand is out of the question for a variety of reasons, pest control being the main one. Are there any other materials that would be suitable?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Most people use sand in their stage that is wrapped in plastic and taped shut. Why would that cause a pest problem?

Normal fluffy insulation in the riser works fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live out in the country and there are a lot of ants (mostly fire ants), everyone involved with the building from the builder to my pest control people cautioned against the use of sand. Besides, the stage is very small and the speakers and subwoofer will not not be resting on the stage.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I saw on Facebook, in a HT Group, the use of shredded rubber, as a substitute.

I have no idea on how good it is, but I could see where it could work...

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,732 Posts
Never thought of that, I just looked bags of rubber mulch run about the same per cu ft as play sand by the bag, around $6.00, I suspect that there may be an odor issue for some people who have found rubber mats objectionable. Sealing in a stage might mitigate that issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts