AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently purchased a pair of Klipsch Rp-280f - 150W towers. I'm not left with the fun job of trying to decide what i need to power them. I typically 50/50 with movies and music.
I've heard that most lower/mid end AV receivers don't do the best job for accurately reproducing music but are fine with movies, I intend to eventually build to a 5.1 setup.

1. So far I'm either looking at getting a yamaha rx-a860, and pair that with a Sonance DSP 2-150 power amp - 150W to appropriatly power the towers ($2,300ish).
2. Or alternatively buying a Rotel RA1570 - 120W ($2,200) which when i decide to add more speakers will have to get an AV reciver and the rotel will essentually be a power amp for the towers..

Ideally i want to get something that will power appropriately and sound great, while not destroying the bank
any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I currently have 4 RP280fs in my 7.1 system and I am powering them with a Yamaha RX-A700 and they sound great. The Klipsch RP-280FS are an efficient speaker so they don't need a lot of power to drive them. How loud do you plan on listening to music and movies? The receiver that I am using does 90 watts a channel and it gets louder than I will ever need it.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
As Scott stated, The RP-280 are very efficient ( [email protected] ). I would skip the rotel and just get a receiver. A 50w/ch receiver could easily drive those speakers to ear bleeding levels without breaking a sweat, unless you have a very large room. The yamaha rx-a860 should be plenty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a pair of those speakers, plugged into a Denon avr-s900w. The power is fine, it has no problem pushing them well over my loudness level with completely acceptable distortion (ears: none, REW shows the truth). I have them placed about 11ft apart, toed in, in a very long room, 4000 cu ft.

I quite like them. People complain the klipsch's are too bright, but I really really like how they sound for the stringed instruments. Anything classical is amazing (with a nice sub for the low end), and I particularly like jazz like The Bad Plus or Bela Fleck, or guitar music like classic Chet, on those speakers. Really brings out the texture of the instruments.

I will probably get flack for this, but I also like the Denon's dynamic EQ feature, which basically applies a bass boost depending on the volume to compensate for how despite volume curves being even across the spectrum, our listening perception, isn't. Listening to quiet music at night really shines with this setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys, Well typically I don't listen overly loud, but on the odd occasion when I do want to crank them i'd really like an amp that will easily do so.
As far as room size goes, moderate to small.
My other main concern apart from power, is that do receivers pack the same punch that integrated stereos do, along with the sound quality?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Integrated 2ch amps often are no more powerful than similarly priced avrs. Plus it takes a doubling of power to gain merely 3dB spl so not a lot to a slightly more powerful amp in any case. Economies of scale mostly as to why avrs often are a better value, also integrated 2ch amps generally lack bass management and other connectivity that is often found in those avrs. With even the inflated sensitivity specs of Klipsch speakers you should have no trouble driving those speakers to very loud levels in a small to medium room with a modest amp/avr without issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am facing a similar debate for my living room and a pair of RF-800s (rebranded RF-82 basically). In my ongoing research, the stereo receivers simply do not seem to be good value. There are some neat features, a slimmer form factor, and the nice thought of simplifying everything, but a lot of cheaper models don't have bass management, have limited support, e.g., for spotify, airplay, etc. Crank the price a little, and you're paying more than you would for a comparable AVR. I have had no quality issues with my Denon avr-s90w or my cheaper Pioneer, either by ear or playing with REW/UMIK1-1, so I'm leaning toward a standard AVR and just ignoring a lot of the features. Sounds crazy, I know, but the extra channels are not that much work compared to the core PS in the AVR, which may help explain part of it (of course, mass production is at play, explaining most of it)

·
Registered
22,755 Posts
Agree that the assumption that you will get sound improvement by going with an intergrated amp vs an AVR is incorrect.

If you want a receiver that is the size of an amp, (ie. smaller), Marantz has amps that fit the bill and while "only" 50 watts have plenty of power to drive most speakers and are definitely enough power to drive Klipsch.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642NR1...76585&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439272065&awdv=c

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.