AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panny RP 56 connected via component vidio to an HD ready 65in Sony XBR. My problem is I can't tell the difference between progressive scan "in" vs. "out". I swear it looks exactally the same either way. Am I missing something here or am I just not seeing the difference?

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Odd..... Did you push the button on the front of the unit that says Progressive scan? Also go into the menu and check out your video settings. I have 2 RP-56 units and they look fantastic. They where one of the first players to use the Faroudja Chipset.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this may sound odd, but to my eyes, the picture looks better with the progressive scan turned off! There are definite scan lines which are large when I have the scan button pushed, but they become more smooth and a lot less noticable when the scan is off. Any thoughts?

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
809 Posts
Don't some of the Sony's upconvert 480i to 960i? For some reason that sticks in my head. If that is the case then when you have the RP56 set to progressive you are viewing a 480p image. When the RP56 is set to interlaced you are seeing a 960i image (TV is upconverting). You can imagine that a 480p signal is going to have less apparent detail than a 960i image.

Which model do you have? I believe the KP65XBR10W upconverts interlaced signals to 960i.

It would be great if all displays supported 960i or better yet 960p. It's pretty easy to convert 480i to those resolutions.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey gtrogue, you may be right. I have the KP-65XBR10W. It does not mention anywhere in the manual about the upconversion. I guess that I could check with Sony about it. Sure makes me feel better, that maybe I'm not nuts, it really does look better with PS off.

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
809 Posts
I just found an equipment review of this very TV in Widescreen Review. From their review:
Quote:
Progressive 480p and high-definition 1080i input signals are displayed unchanged, while standard-definition 480i TV signals are line-doubled to 960i (interlaced) for display.
That could definitely explain why the interlaced image from the DVD player looks more detailed.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gtrogue. Now the question is why would I ever want to get a different DVD? Evidently going to a Panny RP 82, Dennon 1600 or even a 2900 may not make any difference. I don't use DVD-A or SACD (yet) so I don't need the other goodies offored. Also it begs the question, why does the manual with the unit not mention this? Thanks everyone.

NETHOMAS

s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.