AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RP-91: Anyway around this: "On some DVD-Audio discs you will not be able to access the DD5.1 or DTS soundtracks."?

I have some DVD-A DVD's and would like to compare the DD5.1 version, but it seems, no way to access DD5.1, since the RP-91 forces the DVD-A only menu.

Thank you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Go to your Panasonic's setup menu and turn on DVD-Video compatibility mode for DVD-Audio discs. This tricks DVD-Audio discs into thinking your player is a plain DVD-Video player which will make the DD5.1 and DTS soundtracks playable.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have "Cry" by Hill and "Producers Cut" by Harris, both have writing on one side and will not even show access to DD5.1, even though the case says it's there.

I have read that this is the fault of both the dvd and the RP-91, i.e, if the dvd had a "link" to the video section, then DD would appear; whereas the player could keep both video and audio sections open instead of auto going to audio only.

Amazing!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks csv, I'll sure try that!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by csv96
Go to your Panasonic's setup menu and turn on DVD-Video compatibility mode for DVD-Audio discs. This tricks DVD-Audio discs into thinking your player is a plain DVD-Video player which will make the DD5.1 and DTS soundtracks playable.
You can't do this on the RP-91. There is no such setting.

This has been a known issue with the RP-91 and discussed in the RP91 FAQ under the miscellaneous section here:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~hdtvguy/A_%20FAQ_RP91.htm

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
No, it is a feature of both earlier and later players (as well as my earlier Technics A-10, a Panny cousin; I have to go in and set it for DVD-video for the occassional DTS listening...a toggle that resets once you open the drawer or power off), but not the 91 I guess. I read the response and didn't believe they would leave the DVD-Video mode capability off, so I downloaded the RP-91 owners manual (from Amazon...they're great...they have all the user manuals) and sure enough, it ain't there!! Unbelievable!

Ted_B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.