AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shopping for a rear projection tv today, and came away with more questions than answers.

One salesman told me I should be getting a tv with an integrated HD tuner (like his Mitsubishi diamond series) because then it will allow me to obtain the 5 HD channels that are being piped through by basic analog cable that I'm already getting. Huh? Is he serious? There are HD channels coming through my coax that I can get for no extra money? Has anybody heard of this?

Another salesperson told me that all RP's are suseptible to burn in, and that I should go for the new model Pioneer Elite's coming out next month because they have something called HDMI. He said the picture with HDMI is unbelievable and it will blow away DVI and IEEE1394. He also said that all RP's have viewing angle problems. Anyway, is this HDMI thing really the beat all, end all? I've done searches on this sight, and couldn't really figure out what the deal is with the different connector technologies, and what it means for the consumer watching the tv. Is the picture quality better with all these things?

At this point, I would get a DLP, if I had my druthers, but they are just too expensive. Speaking of that, does anyone know what RCA is going to get for their new Scenium DLP 61"?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alpha
Went shopping for a rear projection tv today, and came away with more questions than answers.
You came away with on hell of a put on. :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:

One salesman told me I should be getting a tv with an integrated HD tuner (like his Mitsubishi diamond series) because then it will allow me to obtain the 5 HD channels that are being piped through by basic analog cable that I'm already getting. Huh? Is he serious? There are HD channels coming through my coax that I can get for no extra money? Has anybody heard of this?
Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about--but cable companies have been known to do some pretty weird things
Quote:
Another salesperson told me that all RP's are suseptible to burn in,
Wrong.
Quote:
and that I should go for the new model Pioneer Elite's coming out next month because they have something called HDMI. He said the picture with HDMI is unbelievable and it will blow away DVI and IEEE1394.
As I understand it, HDMI=DVI+Audio: the video will be exactly the same--which is excellent, at least with a digital display.
Quote:
He also said that all RP's have viewing angle problems.
Mostly wrong. Some types now have gotten the viewing angle very wide--at least horizontally. Vertically is another matter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
So I gather that, horizontally at least, LCD and DLP are better than CRT?
From what I saw at BB & UE, i would say that is true.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:

One salesman told me I should be getting a tv with an integrated HD tuner (like his Mitsubishi diamond series) because then it will allow me to obtain the 5 HD channels that are being piped through by basic analog cable that I'm already getting.
No, there are channels coming over the air in most locations. That is what the receiver is for.

It is true that some cable companies offer HD content, but they have their own boxes and an integrated box in the tv won't help you with cable

Quote:

Another salesperson told me that all RP's are suseptible to burn in,
All CRT and plasma based televisions can suffer from burn in, but if properly set up the risk is minimal. DLP and LCD do not suffer from burn in.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jooce
From what I saw at BB & UE, i would say that is true.
You can't trust anything that you see in either store. Neither store properly calibrates any of their sets. The only facts you can get from these stores is the way the set (the actual box itself) looks. It is almost worthless to judge picture in one of these stores. I also would not judge entire technologies on what you see there, because BB caries only low to middle end sets, and while UE carries some really nice equipment, they don't carry everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.