AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any RP CRT's out there that can take advantage of the DVI DVD's 720p signal? I'm looking at buying either a Hitachi 51s700 or a Mits 55613 and, as a deciding factor, the salesman said that while the Mits can display the 720p signal, the Hitachi will down convert to 520p (thus making it pointless), so I should go with the Mits if I want the best DVD viewing option. However, after much research, it seems like NO CRT can take advantage of the improved DVI signal from the DVI-DVD players.

So, will the Mits play the 720p signal or down convert it? If anyone knows, please respond (and if they are both the same, which TV is best for DVD viewing? I realize it's a close race...)

·
Registered
474 Posts
i don't think that's true about the mitsubishi.

i'm pretty sure that the mitsubishi will only decode a 720p signal if it comes in over the antenna. if it comes in over component, i.e. from a dvd player or an xbox--i don't think the mitsubishi can handle the signal.

i believe the hitachi gives you the option of scaling down the 540p or scaling up, the hitachi guys can confirm.

I'm not 100%sure but i think you should get a second opinion, perhaps from another mitsubishi dealer--or have them attach a dvd player that outputs 720p.

·
Registered
134 Posts
because RP CRTs can change their physical resolution, unlike a fixed pixel device, you just want to feed them a good 480p (de-interlaced) signal, and let them scale it (as scaling is simpler than de-interlacing).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.