Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, OT.

I'm helping my Father find a new TV. The old one has finally bit the dust, although the wood console is still in amazing shape for a 15 year old piece of furniture. It sounds like many of you have other TV's in addition to your CRT's, so I'd like to hear your input. Plus I feel I know you better than folks in other forums.

I don't think a projector is in the cards for my folks. The room has no light control, and is generally pretty bright. They also view TV mostly in the daytime, as they generally go to bed when it gets dark. Well, unless Duke is playing. Anyway, they would come over here for an 8' wide picture.

Viewing distance is an issue. Couch and chairs are pretty far back... 10-13 feet.

Dad saw a Sony 42" wega (LCD) at a friends house and liked it. Although it's his decision, I hoped to give him a few more suggestions. I don't like the picture of LCD, and the viewing cone seems Very narrow to me. Who has other suggestions? Gladly, they are looking at wide-screen.

I really like the reports on the Sony 34XBR960 (something like that) but it's a bit on the smaller side. (It's direct view CRT).

Rear projection is also a contender.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
M-

Just my opinion - I have always loved the Son Wega direct view CRT TV - The Color....

I know they are "small" - but for a light control 'challenged' room - thumbs up

My 2 pennies

Pete

- I got both now - (RP sony 54 RP and 27 wega) - I prefer the 27

- hey i got a new avatar!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to get me one of those avatars.

So, the 54" RP is a CRT RP?

stop getting new Avatars when my wife walks in. Man, I'm never going hunting now.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
When I replace my RPTV, I'll be sticking with tried and true. CRT. Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking.

BTW Pete,

Nice scenery.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I too am impressed with the Sony direct view CRT Wegas but the size is limited (well by the standards of front projection). Cannot speak to the RPTV stuff as I haven't every really looked in to them. CRTs are a proven reliable technology and the price is right. The negatives are weight, size, and limited screen size.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kal, do you find the narrow cone on all RPTV, or just LCd, etc? That could very well be a factor as one of the seats is a bit off axis, so I'll mention that to him.

Actually, the one I'm looking at isn't a wega, but a XBR. Here it is on the sony site.

Yeah, I mention FP to Dad, and he said "well, you've got one, I'l just go to your house". Smart fella. It really is too bright, anyway.

Thanks, all, and other suggestions are welcome.

Marshall

·
Registered
53 Posts
we have a sony vega 36" direct view - it is heavier than my dad's old console tv was - wooden cabinet and all!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall F
Kal, do you find the narrow cone on all RPTV, or just LCd, etc? That could very well be a factor as one of the seats is a bit off axis, so I'll mention that to him.
Marshall,

I've never seriously researched RPTV's, but all of the ones I've ever walked past in Best Buy/Circuit City/Future Shop type stores all seem to have narrow viewing cones (Regardless of technology). Some are better then others of course and everyone has difference levels of tolerance to this so it's important for the buyer to see for themselves of course.

The limited viewing cone is directly related to the screen gain, not the technology used to through the image. Extremely high gain screens are usually used in RPTV's to try and give the same bright image that most people have gotten used to with direct view sets.

I suppose that if one of the display technologies is much brighter then the others, that a lower-gain screen could be used which in turn would help increase the acceptable viewing angle, but most likely the usual thing to do is for manufacturer's to cut costs by putting less bright (smaller bulbs/smaller tubes) electronics into the box and simply increase the screen gain a bit. Most manufacturer's will always do whatever's CHEAPER. The day that it's cheaper to put a brighter source in the box instead of a higher gain screen, I'm sure we'll see the opposite.

Kal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.