AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Panasonic RP56 and I'm planning on purchasing the PLV-60HT.

One issue with the RP56 is that it does not scale 4:3 material when the output is 470p. The image is stretched to 16:9.

Can any forum members out there who have the RP56 and PLV-60HT comment on the PLV-60HT ability to scale the 4:3 image back to the proper size (squeeze from 16:9 stretched).

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I saw the PLV60 at a retailer in TOronto and it looked good. I'm concerned about the "lower" lumen rating and the bulb life. I'm on the fence between the PLV60 and 21N, althought the PLV60's 16:9 aspect looked fantastic.

- JP

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I also saw the PLV-60 at Oakville Audio just outside of Toronto & I thought it was pretty bad. Contrast was horrible for whatever reason & then I went to Custom Cinema & Sound which is not far from Oakville Audio & the Sony 11HT just blew away the Sanyo.

Custom Cinema & Sound also had a Sharp 9000 that blew away both these other 2 PJ's by a longshot.

Just my 2 cents...

here is the link that I had started
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=92921

:)

Chris

·
Registered
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
jpinto..

No I did not get the Sharp from Custom. I actually got it as a trade from a client that owes me money but at a good deal so I said what the heck why not. I always wanted to go the big screen route but hated the LCD's & even the DLP's until I saw the Sharp.

I know for a fact that you can get the Sharp from Duocom for $12,900 CDN (about $8060 US) & they are flexible on that price as well. As far Custom, you'll have to call them, not sure what they want since it was just a demo I didn't bother asking how much.

Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,

It's interesting that you said the Sony 11HT blew away the PLV-60HT. I saw the Sony 11HT at Audio Centre in Ottawa this week and was not too impressed. I had the opportunity of having the PLV-60 in my home for a weekend and under my conditions I was able to get an excellent picture.

The Audio Centre was using a Stewart Screen (not Greyhawk). When I commented to the salesman at the Audio Centre that I thought that the Sanyo image was as good as the Sony, he said that the DVD he was using was better for DTS demonstration and not really great for video. Excuse me? If these retailers want to get serious about selling these products, why don't they take some effort to demo them properly.

I came away feeling better about my decision to buy Sanyo, especially when he started his salesman talk about cost (no payments for 12 months, will throw in the ceiling mount, etc, etc, etc) and yet the Sony is about 40% more.

As for the Sharp blowing them all away. For about $13000CAD I would hope so. BTW, I think both Sharp and Sony are trying to fix price by only having these projectors available at 'certified' retailers and not through web or discount dealers. I also think that sales margin on both these units is very high.

I'm surpised Duocom say they can get Sharp. My Duocom dealer says that she cannot sell Sharp products.

Regarding DLP, I'm unfortunately one of those people who cannot tolerate rainbow; I get extreme eye fatique.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Theater salespeople is bizarre. The margins are sky high, and they act like they are giving you the best deal in the world when they offer to throw in a Iscan Pro and take $1000 off.

The guy at the outfit where I saw the PLV60 (Oakville AUdio) told me the price on the unit is $15000, but that "he can do better than that". When I asked what that meant, he said he did a deal with a Iscan +PLV60 for $13000CDN. WOW! Considering the list price on the PLV60 is ~$11k CDN.

I go online and you can get it for ~$9000CDN without looking hard and even Less than that if you search. The home theater guys are useless to deal with unless one has a bottomless bank account. The manufacturers are trying to price fix the units, by selling through low volume, full margin stores.

I am learning to take peoples viewing experiences with a grain of salt. Everyone's eyeballs are so different. I also get DLP eye fatigue after a few minutes of watching. I wish I didn't, but I do.

If you have had the PLV60 in your own home, setup in a way that looks good to you, then that's all that matters. The fact that some other projector looks good in another persons setting, is good for them.

The bottom line is that everybody has to view a projector for themself, and ideally, they should view the projector in their own viewing environment with their own equipment. Someone else's results will vary.

- JP

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Dallas
I also saw the PLV-60 at Oakville Audio just outside of Toronto & I thought it was pretty bad. Contrast was horrible for whatever reason & then I went to Custom Cinema & Sound which is not far from Oakville Audio & the Sony 11HT just blew away the Sanyo.

Custom Cinema & Sound also had a Sharp 9000 that blew away both these other 2 PJ's by a longshot.

Just my 2 cents...
The problem with any comparison is that there are so many variables. A properly set up PLV-60 and a properly setup 11HT should be very close in PQ. The Sharp setup properly will be noticably better in smoothness and black levels. The downside to the Sharp is that the brightness limits it to about 100" screen.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Radar..

Not taking away anything from the Sanyo. I'm sure with a better set-up it would rival the Sony but if you'd seen the Sony 11HT set up at Custom Cinema and Sound after seeing the Sanyo at Oakville Audio you too would agree that the Sony just blew it away.

Here's a new member that took my advice & went to see the Sharp & the Sony side by side & his comments. His name is Glenn Refling & this is the thread..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=91343

Once again seeing is the best experience & people see things differently so my opinion & your can vary a whole lot.

Cheers:)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
a visit there could be devastating to my pocket book!

;-)

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If the projectors are not setup and calibrated properly, then any comparison is pretty much useless. Ray, I know for a fact that the Audio Center does not setup and calibrate their projectors. They take them out of the box, hang them from the ceiling, and set the zoom. Voila, done. For a high end audio-video store, this is pathetic. I am sure that a properly set-up and calibrated Sony 11HT will look much better than a Sanyo PLV-60HT out of the box, and vice versa. Given that the Sanyo is brighter and costs significantly less, my vote goes to the Sanyo. I have not seen the Sharp, nor do I want to given that it costs more than I am willing to spend.

Scott

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Most people who've seen the Sony 11 HT and the Sany 60 properly calibrated have said the Sany 60 looks better and has better black level.

-dave

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's really interesting to read all of the posts -- so many opinions. As Chris did, I had the opportunity to view the Sanyo PVL60 at Oakville Audio on a 100" diagnol Greyhawk, using Arcam DVD player with external scaler, and a Sony HT11 at Custom Cinema on a 115" Stewart (non-greyhawk) -- sorry can't remember the DVD player.

I watched scenes from the Matrix, Gladiator and the 5th Element on both. I thought the Sanyo offered a much better picture than the Sony, particularly with respect to blacks, better resolution in darker scenes, and more vivid colors.

I'm new to all of this, and I understand that my impression may be an unfair one given possible differences in set up and DVD players but the Sanyo would be my choice if I were to buy today. I am still in the mode of taking in more knowledge before I get my credit card out

This is such a great forum -- thx to all for adding such a high amount of value to all of the discussions!

:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.