Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry, I know I should search the archive but I just too lazy.

One simple question about the Panasonic RP56 which uses the Faroudja FLI2200 chips for progressive output.

Does the RP56 has picture control such as contrast, brightness, saturation, gamma, DNR etc like other RA/RP models? If so, does the adjustment has a effect on the progressive output?

I asked because the RP56 only uses the FLI2200 (without the enhance chip FLI2220) which means the progressive chips has NO picture adjustment by itself. If the RP56 has picture control and the effect reflect on the progressive picture, then the "digital connection" (a ribbon cable between the interlace part and the Faroudja chips) carry the digital picture AFTER the picture control path.

People (Tom) are talking about SDI modded on the RP56 because it's a bit easy for the model as the 480i digital video path is exposed by the Faruodja chips connection. But they also said the player's picture control has NO effect on the SDI out. If the Faroudja progressive picture reflect the picture adjustment, then the SDI out must come from a different path.

Any comment? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

PS: the Skyworth 1050p has NO picture control whatsoever. The Philips Q50 has picture control but I forgot to test it's effect on the progressive out!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

Sorry for the bump. The thread has over 60 views now but still no answer. I though many people got the RP56 and use it's progressive output. NO?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Stacey,

Thanks for the quick answer. :)

Okay, so the Panasonic RP56 has NO picture control whatsoever on either 480i or 480p video output.

My RA71 (non-progressive) and I believe the RP91 both have picture control. Any other RP series has picture control?

How about the Kenwood FLI2200 series? Oh, they've the FLI2220 too which could provide some picture control. Does the new Kenwood has 2 separate picture control on 480i and 480p?

Anyway, I need to check the Philips Q50 again. A friend still has one.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
Yes, the Kenwood has two different picture controls for 480i and 480p.

btw, I believe the interlaced outputs of the RP56 has some controls. You do have the C mode.
Yup and yup! Thanks Stacey.

Li On, just to be clear about something - I will be modifying a Kenwood 5900M today or tomorrow. Despite the picture controls available on this, with SDI you will have none. All of those controls are handled by the by the Sage chips and/or DAC section and are bypassed when using SDI. The only way these controls would be preserved would be if the controls were available in the digital domain (on the bt656 bus itself or in the MPEG decoder) somehow.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info.

A friend reported to me that his Philips Q50 "color" control has NO effect on the progressive output. But the "gamma" control DOES reflect on the progressive output. The Q50 only use the single chips FLI2200 so there should be NO picture control on the progressive board. That means the MPEG decoder in the Q50 has internal "gamma" control in the digital bus?

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info.

A friend reported to me that his Philips Q50 "color" control has NO effect on the progressive output. But the "gamma" control DOES reflect on the progressive output. The Q50 only use the single chips FLI2200 so there should be NO picture control on the progressive board. That means the MPEG decoder in the Q50 has internal "gamma" control in the digital bus?

regards,

Li On
No. My guess is the DAC in the Q50 uses allows for the gamma control. Stacey?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Strade
No. My guess is the DAC in the Q50 uses allows for the gamma control. Stacey?
But that is impossible by your saying. You means the Q50 DAC apply "gamma" control on the picture, then ADC, and feed to the FLI2200 via the digital bus?

Or the FLI2200 actually has "gamma" control by itself?

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
The DAC inside the Q50 is a video encoder. I forget which Analog Devices part it is, probably 7195 or 96. This has many controls, they choose to implement what they want or need. You should take a look at the data sheet on the AD website.
Hi Stacey,

Thanks again for the clean up.

Okay, can I list the processing in a FLI2200 progressive player in these step?

1. raw DVD video data pick up by the drive/lens

(digital path)

2. MPEG decoder

(digital path)

3. video encoder for picture control such as "gamma" on Q50

(digital path)

4a. progressive output: connection to progressive board FLI2200

(digital path)

4b. interlace output: DAC for more picture control and analog video output

(analog path)

5. analog video output stage

(analog path)

6. display device, video processor

The FLI2200 digital connection toke place after step 3 so there can be picture control from a "video encoder".

The SDI modded toke place between step 2 and 3 so there is NO picture control.

Is that right? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.