AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of posts about the Panasonic RP56, and very little about the Samsung P701 which is similarly priced and uses the same highly regarded SAGE chip.

Has anyone compared these 2 players? You never know..... maybe Samsung did a better job of implementing the SAGE chip into the P701.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
To my knowledge the P701 has the Genesis chip, as someone in the Home Theater Spot Forum reported last year after checking inside the player.

OTH I had the chance to put my hands on the P401, which was the lower version of the P701, and didn't like the unit. The slow loading time and a bug also present in the P701 - sudden bursts of pixellation showing here and there while watching a movie - were simply unbearable.

The RP56 (now the RP62) is definetely a better choice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The P401 has the Genesis chipset, I've checked inside the player and it has the gmVLX1A-X & gmAFMC. Anybody having the P701 can confirm Genesis?

The only problem I have about the Panasonic RP56 is that it doesn't have digital coaxial audio out. Only optical, which is considered to be somewhat inferior.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I own the Samsung P-701, it has the chroma bug, and I'm getting a replacment for it next week. (panasonic RP-62)

I love samsung, but I do NOT recommend this DVD player. I do believe it has the Sage chip though... but I cannot ignore the Chroma bug, it's highly distracting to me, and it makes perfect transfers like Toy Story 2 very flawed.

I saw the RP-56 on a display model HDTV at BestBuy playing Toy Story 2 and I noticed a great difference in quality from watching it at home.

I do like the remote, and it is very nice looking dvd player though.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Quote:
I saw the RP-56 on a display model HDTV at BestBuy playing Toy Story 2 and I noticed a great difference in quality from watching it at home.

This is surely a problem of your set needing recalibration.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My set is as sharp as need it to be and I'm pretty anal about PQ, I was more referring to the smoothness of the picture, the quality was constant. No artifacting or unwanted 'bugs'. When watching at home, the picture was as sharp, but when anythign red comes on the screen, there's now a huge flaw in the picture which (IMO) degrades the quality severely.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
The Panasonic RP-56 has been discontinued (no long listed on the Panasonic web site at:

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...goryid=%202977

Panasonic is just now starting to ship their new line of DVD players to dealers. It appears the RP-62 has replaced the RP-56. However, I can't find any information to indicate what de-interlacing chip they are using in the RP-62 or any of their other new DVD players. I would really like to know if they are still using the Sage chip or some other. The new models appears from their spec sheets to have improved D-to-A converters as compared to the RP-56 but it would really be useful to have a review of the RP-62 vs. an RP-56.

Does anyone on the forum have any information on the RP-62 or any of the other more expensive new Panasonic models such as the RP-82?

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Quote:
When watching at home, the picture was as sharp, but when anythign red comes on the screen, there's now a huge flaw in the picture which (IMO) degrades the quality severely.
Sorry, stovestop, but really sounds like you didn't recalibrate your set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.