AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried LOTS of players till now to find one which can play Interlaced DVDs from India and mostly all suck.

Namely most renouned here:

S35, F85, RP62, CP67, Philips Q50 with Faroudja : media compatibility issues, I can see interlacing in sudden motion which is pretty bad from such great players. When zoomed in 47" tv (not zoom in player), I see scan lines. Obviosly zoom on the player is worst. No idea what these players are useful for.

JVC: very good progressive scan : i mean no interlace articrafts, no scan lines even zoomed in TV. excellent media compatibility. very fast etc. LOTS of NOISE in picture making the output useless.

Denon 900: I will demand $ to even keep it with me. That bad.

Philips 727: Average overall.

Sony 665p: Very Good progressive scan. not good for zooming in tv as I see scan lines. media issues, scratched disk issues.

Very disappointing fact is latest Q50 with Faroudja showing interlacing issues which makes me believe Faroudja is as much hype as all the above players.

If I have time and patience, I will test

XP30, Pioneer 563, another JVC, Sony 725

or

I Will live with a player which is

My God, Faroudja shows interlacing is unbelievable.

I would spend $40.00 only if I play only Hollywood DVDs as they are so high quality and standards based, even my VCR might play them.

·
Registered
864 Posts
S35 and F85 don't have Faroudja.

some older models of RP62 and CP67 may have Faroudja, but they also have inferior mpeg decoder.

So your problem might be due to mpeg decoder. Isn't all DVDs are interlaced? Is the DVDs from India NTSC?

·
Registered
519 Posts
What an outrage! I mean, what's up with PITA standards anyway? :D

DE

·
Registered
864 Posts
What is PITA?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sounds like a source material problem, or possibly a display problem. Thumper may be right on with the region thing. This does not sound like a DVD player problem.

What kind of display are you using? How is it that you have access to all of these different DVD players?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Honestly I think he's using bootleg copied region free DVDs from India from the sounds of it due to the lack of information provided. This will automatically make us disreguard his post. Unless he made the unit region free and has legit DVD copies from that region then disreguard the above.

Also his conclusions does not support itself since Omikron explained the two models listed don't have Faroudja nor he mentioned about the serial numbers on the other two units to confirm that he is using Faroudja based units.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tv: panny 47wx42

movies: indian films on original DVD. Yes half of them have authoring issues.

But they played perfect on Sony 665 etc.

I know my RP62, CP67 does not have Faroudja but Q50 has it.

Its not MPEG issue (which is the case for JVC picture noise).

It is just that RP62, CP67, S35, F85, Q50 are the main ones which

kept showing interlaced lines (in part of the picture where some object is moving) although they are Progressive (esp. Q50 with Faroudja) and my TV has very good line doubler enabled.

Intent is to say atleast esp. these mentioned players are not capable of doing interpolation well and forget about 2:3 2:2 pulldowns. I would prefer complete interpolated image than perfectly pulled down image with occational interlacing shown.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
lmao the panny f85 does not have faroujda!!!

indian movies... thats a ripoff without the cowboys!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
movies: indian films on original DVD. Yes half of them have authoring issues.
Half! I think all of them have authoring issues and the 5.1 sucks big time on most of them.

Even the first edition of Stargate (that was really bad) is better!

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
The RP-62 does have the Faroudja chip. And it sounds like your monitor isn't set up properly since any "line doubling" should be bypassed with a progressive signal. I would also bet that your DVDs have horrible authoring if they are showing combing artifacts with the RP62. They are most likely 2:2 flagged. This will trip up any de-interlacer.

I would probably change the thread title to Indian DVDs suck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are missing the point.

I agree that Indian DVDs suck mostly but they did very well in Sony and JVC. Line doubler is disabled automatically for Pro. scan input. I was just saying that RP62 pro scan input is inferior to cheap line doubler as RP62 is unable to do it for action scenes. All I see in the movement is either of odd or even lines alone with empty line in between ;-(

Infact I see this occationally on Hollywood DVD trailers too.

Happens even with Q50.

Anyone really use Zoom feature on DVD player? Even at 1.33x zoom, i would never get half the original quality even with Hollywood DVD.

I listed my Q50, CP67, RP62 for sale and now looking for XP30 as last option before going to $40 Pro. scan player.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I watch Indian movies all the time with my RP62 (Faroudja chip) and they all look great with progressive scan ON.

Just the other day I watched 'Peter Pan' with my kids and the Indians looked perfect. Since you posted I double checked 'Dances with Wolves' which looked good as did 'The Last of the Mohicans'.

heh

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
The RP-62 does have the Faroudja chip.
Correction:

Only the ones with the "A" in the serial number have Faroudja chip while the ones with "B" do not. As gopalkk mentioned, he is using the B version.

gopalkk, maybe try the RP-62 with the Faroudja then it'll make the difference. You could also go with the RP-56 as well as one of your optinos.

At home, I have 3 Faroudja based units, 2 RP-82s and a RP-56.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
LMAO!!

40$ PROGRESSIVE SCAN???

dude you my friend need medical attention...

lol 40$ progressive scan...haha

ps-maybe you smoka too mucha indian weed?

·
Registered
398 Posts
They will be video sourced and badly flagged, which is probably going to trip up most deinterlacers. The RP-62 has an issue with the video mode for deinterlacing doesn't it? IIRC it disables DCDI due to a bug. Your far better off just mating them with an interlaced set since the dvds are never going to look good. Blame the poor authoring, not the players. The most poorly authored discs will trip up any deinterlacer periodically.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TowJumper
I watch Indian movies all the time with my RP62 (Faroudja chip) and they all look great with progressive scan ON.

Just the other day I watched 'Peter Pan' with my kids and the Indians looked perfect. Since you posted I double checked 'Dances with Wolves' which looked good as did 'The Last of the Mohicans'.

heh
HeHe: You are pulling his legs right?

gopalkk:

What kind of TV system is used in India? PAL or SECAM? Are all their DVD NTSC compatible. When I played a PAL DVD using an ELEctrohome DVD player PAL->NTSC on an interlaced TV, I do see double lines or combing.

Is this what you saw? Or this?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...feathering.gif http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ki-twitter.gif

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.