AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the RP62, CP72, and RP82 DVD players.

Is one of these players significantly better than the others ?

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
For one, the RP82 is the only one out of the 3 that has 4:4:4 Signal Procesing (not exactly sure what that is, but I read about it somwhere) and according to www.dcdi-video.com , it is also the only one with the DCDi by Faroudja.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Strictly picture, the CP72 and RP82 are slightly better than the RP62. The 72 and 82 use the same top of the line MPEG decoder that the flagship RP91 uses. The 62 uses the next step down MPEG decoder. All 3, the 62, 72, and 82 have the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer. (The RP91 does not have DCDi and uses an inferior de-interlacer)

The 62 and 72 only have an optical digital out. The 82 has both coax and optical.

The 82 and 72 play DVD-A's. The RP62 does not.

The 82 and 62 are single disc players, the 72 is a 5 disc changer.

The 62 and 72 are available in black, the 82 is ONLY available in silver.

In my opinion, for a single disc player, the RP82 is worth the few bucks more over the RP62. If you need a 5 disc changer, then get the RP72.

·
Registered
304 Posts
indications from forum members (who compared them) are that the 72 and 82 have identical video quality

i picked the 72 because i preferred a black machine.

however, after living with it for a while, it will be now be VERY hard to go back to a non-changer player! it's one of those things (like tivo) that you can only appreciate by living with it for a while.

my system is:

disk 1 & 2: my 2 Netflix DVDs

disk 3: a long duration 'series' i'm currently watching bits of when i have time (e.g. 'simpsons', 'x-files', etc.)

disk 4: latest purchased DVD

disk 5: variable: avia, bonus disk if 'disk 4' is a double disk, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The cp72 is not the same as the rp82, it has neither 4:4:4 or dcdi processing. See either panasonic or DCDi site.

Quote:
Originally posted by greggz
Strictly picture, the CP72 and RP82 are slightly better than the RP62. The 72 and 82 use the same top of the line MPEG decoder that the flagship RP91 uses. The 62 uses the next step down MPEG decoder. All 3, the 62, 72, and 82 have the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer. (The RP91 does not have DCDi and uses an inferior de-interlacer)

The 62 and 72 only have an optical digital out. The 82 has both coax and optical.

The 82 and 72 play DVD-A's. The RP62 does not.

The 82 and 62 are single disc players, the 72 is a 5 disc changer.

The 62 and 72 are available in black, the 82 is ONLY available in silver.

In my opinion, for a single disc player, the RP82 is worth the few bucks more over the RP62. If you need a 5 disc changer, then get the RP72.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newtbert
The cp72 is not the same as the rp82, it has neither 4:4:4 or dcdi processing. See either panasonic or DCDi site.

according to the dcdi site, only the BLACK rp62 has dcdi.... so i'm guessing that site contains an incomplete list (or there are stampedes of people heading to sears to pick up the 62k and returning their 62S's to CC or BB :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
758 Posts
Newtbert,

All DVD players do 4:4:4 processing. Please refer to this thread if you would like further information.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=183685

The Panasonic RP56, 62, 72 and 82 all have DCDi deinterlacing. They are not marketed as such (dont know why) but if you crack the case open you will see the FLI2200 chip (aka the DCDi chip) plain as day on the circuit board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.