AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a demo model RP62 (mfg JUNE 2002, no B in the serial number), which seems to have a faulty IR sensor (thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247416 )

I can return it for a model which is fully operational, but almost certainly a later model, which I've read here may not have the FLI2200 chip.

Unless i can fix the current one, I don't really have a choice, but I'd like to hear from someone who has seen both version of the rp62 in action and can quantify the difference.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Open it up, flip that 4"X4" circuit board over, and see for yourself. I know you want to :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
the faroudja doesn't even come into play unless you have an HDTV . ( that is such a key info that is never mentioned anywhere!!!

ARGH

-crying-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear
the faroudja doesn't even come into play unless you have an HDTV . ( that is such a key info that is never mentioned anywhere!!!

ARGH

-crying-
My hdtv will be arriving next week. ;)

I still can't figure this thing out. Why the heck will it work sometimes and not others? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
As far as I know all of the RP-62s have the Faroujda chip, it's the new models that don't.
Nope. Panny actually slip streamed in a new MPEG decoder toward the end of their production run that uses an integrated DAC and deinterlacer (the same one used in the S35). So if there is a "B" in the serial number there is a pretty good chance you don't have the Fli2200 on-board.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Strade
Nope. Panny actually slip streamed in a new MPEG decoder toward the end of their production run that uses an integrated DAC and deinterlacer (the same one used in the S35). So if there is a "B" in the serial number there is a pretty good chance you don't have the Fli2200 on-board.
But is it any good? :D

Obviously, it is probably good ENOUGH for the price i paid ($90), but how much worse than the faroudja is it?

·
Premium Member
13,480 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Tom, this is probably the new one chip solution they are using on the new players that I have heard is CRAP. Have to get a hold of one and bench test it.

I thought everyone knew you had to have a HD capable set to use a progressive player, which is why no one ever talks about it. Our DVD primer mentions it though, just in case.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Kris,

You said this:
Quote:
I thought everyone knew you had to have a HD capable set to use a progressive player, which is why no one ever talks about it. Our DVD primer mentions it though, just in case.
Not to be terribly picky, but this is incorrect. You need a display capable of handling a 480p input rate.

While the vast majority of sets capable of displaying 480p are HD sets, there are a very few sets which support a max input of EDTV (Enhanced Definition) 480p, but not above.

Examples include, but are not limited to the cheapest 42" plasmas, and at least one or two Samsungs.

These are an extremely small minority, but they do exist nonetheless.

Regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.