AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm about to pull the plug on a purchase of an rp-82 with sdi-mod that I will feed into my Leeza and a reasonably high end a/v receiver (Integra 7.2 or Onkyo NR900). Two questions:

1. People have said in numerous posts that the audio stage of this player is not as good as it is in some other players. If I'm going to be using the digital optical or coax output, is that completely irrelevant? (In other words, is this just a criticism of the DAC?)

2. I see that this player has 6 channel audio output (phono plugs for center, sub, front l/r and surround l/r). Is there any reason to believe that using 6 channel audio would be better than feeding my receiver the digital output and letting my receiver decode into the 6 channels? Should I be holding out for a player with a better DAC that I can use 6 channel out for, or is there no reason to believe that there is any special advantage to 6 channel out versus digital out and 6 channel decode in the receiver?

·
Registered
499 Posts
The analog audio out section of the player has a fairly flat sound to it, so if you have a good receiver like you do I would output all audio via the digital coax or toslink output and let your receiver's DACs do the conversion. On my CP72(Same as RP82)I compared the audio out of the analog and the digital output and the digital was much brighter, clearer, and made a much better soundstage then the anlog outs. The DACs in my Sony DA4ES receiver blow away the RP82's DACs in every aspect and that is why the digital sounded much better in all cases with this player. You will have to use all 6 analog outs for all of the MLP DVD Audio tracks due to copyright. This is where a DVD player with better audio DACs wil be need since you can't output MLP DVD Audio through a digital output. BTW Queens DVD Audio disc sounds really good through the anlog out in MLP 5.1 24/94, but the DTS 24/96 through the digital ouput sounded even louder, clearer, and had a much better soundstage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also prefer the DTS track digital out over analog DVD-Audio from the rp82. Sadly, the rp82 doesn't have a format priority table, so you have to go to the setup menu every friggin time you change a disk and select dvd video mode. Firmware upgrades, anyone?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Is there any reason to believe that using 6 channel audio would be better than feeding my receiver the digital output and letting my receiver decode into the 6 channels?
It seems to really depend on the receiver. For the most part the only reason to use the six-channel outs is for playing DVD-Audio discs. This is because most digital connections can't properly process the signal from DVD-A discs. The only other reason to use them is if you are using a receiver that has a poor DD/DTS encoder (or none at all) and the player can do the decoding and pipe the audio out the discreet analog channels. From the sounds of it, most people are using the digital out first (and let the receiver do the decoding for DVD movies), and also hooking up the 6 channel outs to play DVD-A discs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only serious concern, really (in terms of audio) with the RP82, is with playing DVD-Audio discs. If you're into DVD-A and have a big library, then you might want to look at other higher-end dvd players.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Webslinger
The only serious concern, really (in terms of audio) with the RP82, is with playing DVD-Audio discs. If you're into DVD-A and have a big library, then you might want to look at other higher-end dvd players.
So I gather that means that if I am only using the player to watch DVD movies, and I've got a good solid a/v reciever with digital inputs, the weakness of the RP82 audio is completely irrelevant to me. Correct?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
So I gather that means that if I am only using the player to watch DVD movies, and I've got a good solid a/v reciever with digital inputs, the weakness of the RP82 audio is completely irrelevant to me. Correct?
That would be my assessment of the situation, yes. It seems to me that others in this thread are basically saying the same thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got a CP72 and connected it to my Lexicon MC12 using a MIT optical cable. I compared the sound with my Toshiba 6200 which is connect witha MIT coaxial cable. The Toshiba sound dramaticaly more full with much more detail when watching movies. I cannot understand the difference since it should be a digital signal and should not be that much of a difference. The soundstage is wider and the detail is much better with the Toshiba 6200. I am also surprised that the picture is not that much different in interlaced mode. I am using both players interlace mode into my Runco video processor to my Runco 947 CRT projector. The runco is converted the 480i to 540p. The projector was calibrated for the Toshiba 1 year ago. I have learned you cannot compare picture quality until you calibrate the display for each DVD player. Maybe the video would be better if I had it calibrated for the Panasonic. However, the sound is not good so it is not worth calibrating for the Panasonic. I have decided that the Panasonic CP72 sound is inferior and not worth changing compared to the Toshiba. So I will be moving this to the family room system. I am interested in anyone who has thoughts on the sound of the 82 and 72. I think with some systems like mine you will hear how flat or thin the sound is on the 72. I am surprised that I notice this on the digital optical output. Even though I am happy with the Toshiba am looking to an upgrade. I cannot see the video or audio upgrade in this player compared to my set-up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My comments are based only on setting all Panasonic RP82 sound settings to "bitstream" and letting your amplifier/receiver handle all the sound processing. Note that the RP82 does not default all sound settings to "bitstream".

I have no experience with the CP72.

Keep in mind, the RP82 shines when using progressive scan.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it does play mp3s. Anyone know why dvd players aren't set up to play simple mpgs on a dvd-r or cd-r? I would have thought this would be a simple feature to add.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just replaced my Pioneer Elite DV 37 with RP82.It is also connected with a Lexicon MC12 and I can tell the difference.Digital output through coaxial.RP 82 shines in each and every aspect.Video,in component mode to my Pioneer 503 CMX,is also superior to DV37,beside the chroma bug free for RP82.

Beside the UGLY,Cheap look of the RP82,it is a good player.Go get it while you can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.