AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been batted about here before but I confirmed through 3 retailers here in Toronto and Panasonic that the 82 is no longer available for order from Panasonic Canada and has been discontinued. I managed to buy three units for gifts but they were very hard to find.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
What?? I am in the TO area and have another one on order, expected in a few days. Who told you this? As far as many TO retailers are concerned, the 82 never existed, they've never seen or sold one. So be careful on interpreting your info, they may not really have a clue. Name a name of a retailer who says they're discontinued, and I'll name a retailer who can get you one before next weekend.:) Or you can have mine. It is normal in NA that the 82 can't be found in stores. I would like to be on your gift list.

If Panasonic Canada stops carrying them that's one thing, and disturbing, but if they do, I think I might know why, and it has nothing to do with the DVD-A thing or functionality. I have had an issue with the 82's that apparently have been assigned to Canada, things very obviously at issue that American users don't seem to mention, and that is why I am continuosly ordering a new one! My dealer has mentioned that I am not the only one by a long shot who has returned units. Imagine that, Canadians who complain about something? Might even get good government someday....

Though flabbergasted, thinking a bit I read between the lines of what my dealer has said in the last week (about a RP82 replacement for me) and you may very well be correct...it starts to fit now, not the way I expected. I hope it's not true.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was definitely confirmed by Panasonic AND 3 dealers who are very in the know and used to carry it. What issues have you had? Curious since my Canadian model seems perfect. BTW if anyone's looking in TO I can pass along the dealer who has 3 left.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Did they give a reason? I expect not, based on previous questions I've had for Panny. My issue has been with the very loud motor noise in the units I've received. I have only had 2 or 3 other people in various forums who have noticed this based on my queries, out of apparently lots of users. But my local dealer has himself had more than that many units returned for loud motor noise. My original was VERY loud, could hear over low dialog with typical movies from 12' away, latest one a little better than that but still loud, not normal compared to other brands (admitted by my dealer to be very annoying). Odd. Something I could live with (if necessary) for the great video, but do have somewhat sensitive hearing.

You know, as good as the 82 is, it is the very first piece of gear in over 30 years of A/V that I've had problems with when new. It works so well at what it does *functionally*, but has issues with its construction/implementation. I think I'm at a loss, generally I accept or reject something so quickly, but this thing is too good to reject even though I have had more issues with more things than I've ever had with all gear I've ever purchased in my life put together. It's too good for me to slam, and yet in my posts I have been indirectly slamming it, and at the same time recommending it. Can you be schizophrenic over a piece of gear?

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cfraser
Did they give a reason? I expect not, based on previous questions I've had for Panny. My issue has been with the very loud motor noise in the units I've received. I have only had 2 or 3 other people in various forums who have noticed this based on my queries, out of apparently lots of users. But my local dealer has himself had more than that many units returned for loud motor noise. My original was VERY loud, could hear over low dialog with typical movies from 12' away, latest one a little better than that but still loud, not normal compared to other brands (admitted by my dealer to be very annoying). Odd. Something I could live with (if necessary) for the great video, but do have somewhat sensitive hearing.

You know, as good as the 82 is, it is the very first piece of gear in over 30 years of A/V that I've had problems with when new. It works so well at what it does *functionally*, but has issues with its construction/implementation. I think I'm at a loss, generally I accept or reject something so quickly, but this thing is too good to reject even though I have had more issues with more things than I've ever had with all gear I've ever purchased in my life put together. It's too good for me to slam, and yet in my posts I have been indirectly slamming it, and at the same time recommending it. Can you be shizophrenic over a piece of gear?
I can confirm that mine is almost completely silent. My contact at Panasonic told me that it was discoed because it had SEVERELY cut into sales of their other models and was a unit their profit margin was very small on. He did say once word got out on the internet about it they were cooked.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It does video damn well. Yes, the models below the 72 aren't worth bothering with.

Edit: I'm hoping my next unit is among the vast majority that is not obnoxiously loud. Of course, the cure for a loud motor is louder sound, so not an insurmountable issue.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
hrm.... I've got the Candian model (one of the first to have one here), and I love it, no problems at all with noice or performance.

I can understand the confusion, tho.

Speaking of, you say nothing under a 72 is worthwhile, am I wrong in thinking that at rp-65 is just an 82 without dvd-a?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought an RP82 last month. During quiet passages, I can hear my transport running. It's sort of a whirling, rubbing sound. Some discs are louder than others. But it's always present. I just assumed this was SOP for a $200 player these days. I sit about 2.5 feet (two point five) from the player I which is off to my immediate right. (I'm running a pair of long interconnects to a pair of tube monoblocks). I just assumed I was sitting too close to the player, and just wrote it off as that. In comparison my marantz CD changer is dead quiet.

Granted you don't really notice the rp82's transport noise during "normal" movie sounds, but you can pick it out during quiet dialog. Also it was downright annoying during critical music listening. I was almost willing to ignore the opaque, yet clear sonic signature of the machine as CD transport into my DAC. If it was more lucid, I'd might think differently. But still, that tranport noise. Ugh.

Mine is a Sept 2002 build from Crutchfield.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
My issue has been with the very loud motor noise in the units I've received.
What kind of noise is it? Spindle motor noise or sledge motor noise?

Spindle motor noise level of RP82 is one of best in my experience.

There is a very sligt sledge motor noise, but it is negligible.

Noise level in my experience (Louder first) :

Philips >> Sony > Panasonic >= Pioneer

And Is there any reliable official news if RP82 is discontinued?

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's interesting because a dealer (U.S.) told me that just this week his Panasonic rep told the RP-82 was NOT discontinued, just in short supply.

He said it was just a matter of supply and demand and that supplies were tight because sales are much higher than expected due to word of mouth. They have had difficulty keeping up with demand since the units introduction in June and are using the opportunity to increase sales of the CP-72.

It's the same kind of rumor which went around before about the RP-91 when it was in short supply. ;)

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nekobus
That's interesting because a dealer (U.S.) told me that just this week his Panasonic rep told the RP-82 was NOT discontinued, just in short supply.

He said it was just a matter of supply and demand and that supplies were tight because sales are much higher than expected due to word of mouth. They have had difficulty keeping up with demand since the units introduction in June and are using the opportunity to increase sales of the CP-72.

It's the same kind of rumor which went around before about the RP-91 when it was in short supply. ;)
This was not a rumour but came from Panasonic. They are not taking anymore orders for it and are canceling existing ones.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beatles
This was not a rumor but came from Panasonic. They are not taking anymore orders for it and are canceling existing ones.
Well the dealer said the Panasonic rep told him it was still in production and had not been discontinued. Orders the dealer placed would be filled, but it might take a while due to a short supply.

There is also the possibility that they are just discontinuing the unit only in Canada.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Aroc, SoPa: the noise that bothers me on mine is strictly the spindle motor noise, the drawer is very smooth and quiet. Well, the sledge is pretty noisy when major seeking, but I can tolerate that. Also, the fact that there's no disc stabilizer makes the rotation noise worse. I had occasion to be using the player for DVD-A a lot in the past week, and I guess the stereo track is near the inside of the disc, because the fast spinning noise was really loud, very obtrusive during the music listening, me sitting ~12' away.

I was hoping the Sept. units would be quieter, mine's Aug., my July unit sounded like a tank. So I guess build date means nothing, it's luck of the draw. I have another unit on order, though from what Beatles says it may not arrive on time, or at all. But units were shown in the local warehouse, but I bet not for long... I guess I can live with the noise if I have to, but the RP56 the 82 replaced was dead silent, and so is my cheapie all-region Apex. I bet most people (not necessarily those here) wouldn't even consider my 82 noisy, unless they had a direct comparison.

Maybe I should keep the unit I have, it's only about a month old, and offer it to somebody in the TO area who wants one. When I get the new one that is, and if they're going to be that hard to get around here... The CP72 is not commonly seen in stores here, the 62 and lower models are common.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Why???? Is this a case of a product performing TOO well? Better than their flagship, and better (or equal) than all other models they sell? It's screwing up their production lines and warehouse stockpiles? By diverting sales from cheaper models by the relatively little cost increase to get something GOOD? I'm not buying the "discontinued" 100% yet, but I could see them doing it. I would ignorantly guess that a temporary production stoppage to divert attention to other models is more likely. And then re-introduce it as a '04 model. Often the truth is put in very simple terms to make things easier for everybody, especially dealers, and a one word answer "discontinued" does it. Is the 82 financially dangerously ahead of its time? This is all pure speculation on my part of course:)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Hell they should just re-release it and charge a bit more to cover there costs if thats the case.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
My local Tweeter never even carried it, all I know that Onecall has plenty in supply, I just got 2 of them the other day for gifts...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Or RP92 with the RP82 video section with Denon 1600 audio quality on all analog outputs, in a "full-size" box with nice motors and disc stabiliser, for $300. Or maybe not...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.