AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have every intention of ordering the RP91 this week unless someone can come up with some good reason why I should wait for the the new models? Really and realistically, just how much better can a machine be for $470? Are we reaching a point of diminishing returns, whereas this is about as good a picture as we will ever get but the machines will probably start dropping in price?

Also, anyone who has had or heard of specific problems with this machine mated to a Toshiba 53HX71, please respond.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
mkirk,

It depends upon much longer you can wait. The Pany RP82 or XP50 look to be "better" than the RP91 and priced a little less.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, are you familiar with de-interlacing issues? The RP91 uses the Genesis chipset which generally does a pretty bad job of de-interlacing. The up-coming RP82 is supposed to have the Sage chipset, which is one of the best, maybe even THE best, available.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the Yamaha S1200, which is based on the RP-91. It, in fact, does an excellent job of deinterlacing and produces a beautiful picture. It is very weak, though, in progressive mode on video-based sources. (Sometimes I have to turn the progressive mode off.) I have no idea whether the new players would be superior to the RP-91. I feared I would wait forever if I always waited to see what was coming around the corner, so I went ahead and bought.

·
Registered
298 Posts
While the RP82 will have much better de-interlacing you will loose your scaling capabilities. I always thought people buy the RP91 to be able to scale non-anamorphic DVD's on TV's that lock in full mode when fed a progressive picture. If you do not own any non-anamorphic DVD's or have a tv that can scale a progressive feed you may want to wait for the RP82. Otherwise go grab a RP91. Of course you could also go with the Malata DVP-520 for all your scaling needs and get a RP82 for everything else. Choices, choices nothing but choices ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just how serious is the de-interlacing issue. Are we talking slightly more noticable than the Sage machines or no better than non-progressive?

Regarding the chipset issue: Yes, my initial reaction was to save money and buy the much cheaper (and more cheaply built) RP56 which I believe has the Sage chipset, but after reading many different posts in which RP91 owners swear their machines, hands down, present a somewhat more detailed picture and hardly no (better than any others for

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkirk
Just how serious is the de-interlacing issue. Are we talking slightly more noticable than the Sage machines or no better than non-progressive?

Compson:

By video based sources, I assume you are referring to gaming material or things other than film based material. Correct?
It depends upon your viewing habits as to how serious an issue it is. I have a large anime collection, most of which is video material, and the Sage chip works much better for it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
I am not familiar with Malata but a quick search showed the model 996 for

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
mkirk,

Neither the RP91 or Malata have any chroma bug problems - both are chroma bug free.

The RP82 MAY have scaling. Look at this spec sheet and notice that it mentions image formatting and variable zoom. That's why the RP82 looks so interesting to me - no chroma bug plus great Faroudja deinterlacing plus maybe good zooms:

www.nbtelectronics.com/images/RP82.jpg

(The Panasonic XP50 comes out this summer too and costs more than the RP82 - only a little less than the RP91. Due to it's higher cost over the RP82, it's no telling what great performance the XP50 may bring to the ball game - maybe the XP50 will be a RP91 killer.)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quote:
It depends upon your viewing habits as to how serious an issue it is. I have a large anime collection, most of which is video material, and the Sage chip works much better for it.
I've sent HD ABC Toy Story from a Dish6000 to an Elite 610 and ran the DVD simultaneously from a RP-91. I couldn't see any de-interlacing issues...

Could someone point me to some RP-91 de-interlacing problem discs?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Compson:

By video based sources, I assume you are referring to gaming material or things other than film based material. Correct?

Correct, including DVDs of old TV shows and making-of documentaries included with many movies. I believe I'm correct in saying that the DCDi of the Sage chipset only comes into play on video. I have my player primarily for watching movies, so that's really not a consideration for me. On a large monitor, scaling is a big issue with nonanamorphic discs.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Phil/others,

I thought the RP91 had a superior(?) 12bit/54MHz video DAC over both the RP82 and XP50 who will use a 10bit/54MHz DAC? As well, I was under the impression from another post that the RP91 uses the Faroudja/DCDi chip set?? I also don't necessarily believe that going to a packaging size of less than 2" (XP50 marketing focus) high means it's "better" from a performance perspective. I haven't been able to find a complete comparison of these Pany models. :(

Cheers,

dagger

Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
mkirk,

Neither the RP91 or Malata have any chroma bug problems - both are chroma bug free.

The RP82 MAY have scaling. Look at this spec sheet and notice that it mentions image formatting and variable zoom. That's why the RP82 looks so interesting to me - no chroma bug plus great Faroudja deinterlacing plus maybe good zooms:

www.nbtelectronics.com/images/RP82.jpg

(The Panasonic XP50 comes out this summer too and costs more than the RP82 - only a little less than the RP91. Due to it's higher cost over the RP82, it's no telling what great performance the XP50 may bring to the ball game - maybe the XP50 will be a RP91 killer.)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
daggerNC,

The RP91 indeed does have the 12 bit DAC's. I looks like the RP82 may have 10 bit DAC's. The Faroudja chips are, I believe, designed to deal with just the 9 or 10 bits from the decoder, hence the Faroudja chips are advertised to be only "10 bit" chips. What you do with more than 10 bits (and high frequencies) in the video DAC for the DVD player's analog video channels after the deinterlacer chip can be based on solid engineering or based on marketing-hype driven engineering just so the OEM can advertize "1X bit/XXXMHz video DAC's".

So far the only affordable Faroudja powered player to use more than 10 bits for it's analog video channel DAC's that I know of is the Philips Q50 (.....and maybe more recent Philips 9XX models?). The expensive EAD 8000 Pro and Krell Standard may use high bit-count/frequency video DAC's with their Faroudja deinterlacers, but I don't know one way or the other.

I'm hoping that the upcoming Pany XP50, being ~$120 more than the RP82, offers more than the RP82 for the extra money than just it's ultra-low 1.7 inch high profile! The RP82 is also low profile, but I don't think under 2 inches. I hope and assume that both the RP82 and XP50 have no chroma upsampling design error, the Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacer, and one or two zoom steps that are actually usable. Granted the RP82/XP50 zooms, even if high quality and therefore usable, won't be "automatic" for non-anamorphics like the RP91 - but I'd rather have usable zooms for both non-anamorphics and anamorphics and give up the RP91's automatic function. I don't believe the RP91 zooms work on anamorphic material.

I have several inquiries out trying to get more info on both models and will post everything I learn.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Another possibility is the Denon 1600. it has the Faroudja chip and Brown and Burr DAC's, DVD-A. It's at the $450 price point. Alas, no scaling...

jeff

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
but I'd rather have usable zooms for both non-anamorphics and anamorphics and give up the RP91's automatic function. I don't believe the RP91 zooms work on anamorphic material.
Why in the world would someone want to zoom a Anamorphic DVD? Unless there one of those "I could care less about OAR I just don't want those black bars" people! Better known as J6P.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
While the RP91 does indeed use the Genesis chipset, the latest firmware updates have dramatically improved the deinterlacing. Video programs such as The Simpsons, which used to comb badly on the intros, Peter Frampton live, various WB Batman animated DVDs and even my bootleg SW DVDs all comb much less with the v236 firmware.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
would there ever be a way to burn a firmware update cd for the rp91 that takes care of some of the video de-interlacing issues?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
would there ever be a way to burn a firmware update cd for the rp91 that takes care of some of the video de-interlacing issues?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.