AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it appears my Panny RP91 has died. I'm getting the dreaded H02 error. Last time we watched a movie with it, it was working fine. I popped one in the other day and it wouldn't play and the H02 error came up on the LED display. I popped the top off and when putting a disc in, it won't spin up. I gave it some help and it started spinning, but when it started reading, I could hear some grinding and it spun back down. I eventually got it to read the disk again by helping it along each time it started to stop spinning and ti finally read the disk and started playing the movie. I left the movie in a loop for a while to see if it would loosen things up. I was eventually able to stop the movie and eject and restart it. I left it going in a loop again for a while and when I checked it again, it had stopped. Now I can't get it to keep spinning the disc during the Read even with my help and eventually it stops with "No Play" displayed on the LED.

It appears the drive motor has gone bad. Kind of depressing since the RP91 is less than 2 years old.

Is my RP91 really dead or is this something that can be repaired? What would the repair cost? Would I be better off just buying a new DVD player? It seems you can get a decent player for under $200 these days (like the Pioneer 563A which provides SACD in addition to DVD-Audio). Am I going to miss the scaling feature of the RP91? My Panny Plasma locks into Full or Zoom mode when sending 480p to it.

After reading other threads about the H02 errors on Panny players, I'm hesitant to buy another Panny. I'm especially hesitant to pay a premium price for a supposedly premium player like I did with the RP91. If I'd paid less than $200 for a player and it died after 2 years of use, it wouldn't bother me so much to have to replace it, but for a supposedly better quality player, it bothers me quite a bit.

-Ray

·
Registered
483 Posts
I thought the RP91 was a solid player. I have the problem with my CP72, which is known to have this.

I'm in the process of taking my CP72 apart, slowly, just to see how it is put together. Maybe I'll find something with the motor that'll make it work again, a shot of oil maybe. These things spin really fast. If this were a single draw, like the RP91, you might be able to swap them out, as the mechanisms are sometimes off-the-shelf parts, but the CP72 uses the 5 disc tray, which is not. I'm not optimistic.

FWIW my advice is this. If it can be fixed for under $100, go for it, but any more and get a new player. The RP91 has been around for a while and newer models are coming out all the time, with new features such as SACD/DVDA, DVI etc...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.