Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I just purchased the Panasonic RP91 as a companion piece to my Panasonic E20 recorder. Part of the reasoning was to be able to read DVD-RAM and create DVD-R from them.

The RP91 is having trouble reading DVD-R's created on the E20. Some show skipping, some blotchy digital artifacts, and some freak out the RP91 and it won't even begin to play them. However, these same DVD-R's all work fine on the E20 itself, or on an old Sony DVD player that I have.

Defective RP91? The RP91 seems to play everything else (DVD-RAM etc.) fine.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Meritline.com dvd-r's play just fine in my RP91. Part number for the dvd-r's is ML-DVDR47G-025. They are 1.59 each. I have burned over 40 dvd-r's of this brand and everything plays perfect in the RP91.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also have both an E20 and a RP91 but have a slightly different experience. My RP91 plays everything the E20 makes as long as the E20 can play it too. In other words, if my E20 burns a bad DVD-R, that disc won't play in either machine or has the same artifacts in both machines. But aside from the DVD-Rs from cdrecordable.com, I haven't had any problems getting both players to read DVD-R's and DVD-RAMs

·
Registered
976 Posts
Have you also tried DVD-Ram discs recorded on the E20? If they fail on an RP-91, maybe you have a defective RP-91 unit.

I have had very good success with Verbatim DVD-R blank media and Panasonic single and double sided DVD-Ram media. If you bought Memorex blanks, then this could be the cause of your problems. Stay with known brands which other users have verified. Stay away from brands which are incompatible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments.

First off, DVD-RAM works fine.

1. Recorded a DVD-RAM on the E20

2. Played back great on the RP91 and E20

3. Made a DVD-R copy of the same DVD-RAM from the RP91 to E20

4. DVD-R copy works fine on E20 and Sony DVD player

5. DVD-R copy will not play fine on the RP91

Doesn't seem to matter what brand. Cheapo, TDK, Imation... same deal.

My unit was built in April 2001 and just received it Saturday from eCost. They shipped right away but I wonder how they will handle a defect if indeed that's what this is. Panasonic repair center is within driving distance however.

Do you think it might be a firmware thing? I haven't checked the firmware release yet. Since I just got it I wonder if I'd screw things up more by updating the firmware.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crickbob

My unit was built in April 2001 and just received it Saturday from eCost. They shipped right away but I wonder how they will handle a defect if indeed that's what this is. Panasonic repair center is within driving distance however.

Do you think it might be a firmware thing? I haven't checked the firmware release yet. Since I just got it I wonder if I'd screw things up more by updating the firmware.
You have done your best to narrow it down to the RP-91. (Since the dvd-r plays on a Sony, it is clear that you remembered to finalize it, right?) It is time to call up ecost and get a Return Authorization. Once they approve it they will either give you a URL to print a pre-paid return shipping label or mail you one. It's a hassle, but at least this didn't happen 30 days after you received it.

My RP-91 was built in July 2001 and probably has the same firmware as yours. Other users also have the same vintage model as you, and their players also work. You just have to stand up for your rights as a consumer. I have received defective stuff from ecost, and they have been polite (but formal) about returning it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My RP91 was purchase last month and it had a build date of March 2002 with 250 firmware. Everything works great here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.