AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another forum member recently posted this link ( http://www.jvb.nl/digital/ ) for region free kits available in the US. Has anyone tried their kit? Does it work as advertised? Is it stable and reliable? Would you recommend it to friend (or your worst enemy ;) )?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I suspect one issue is the fact that even if it can be modified to play, say a Region 2 PAL source, it may not convert PAL to NTSC. ie. It will play the PAL disc, but as PAL. Assuming that is true, you're still SOL, since the vast majority of North American TVs freak out when fed a PAL source.

In places where a lot of region free DVD players are sold, this is still a big issue. Whereas systems which convert PAL-->NTSC exist, these are more the exception than the rule. And even when they do convert it, the conversion is often less than stellar.

Out of interest's sake, I do know that the Panasonic players in China which come straight from the factory as all region, do not convert PAL-->NTSC, although some do convert NTSC-->PAL.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
Yes it works perfectly.
Well, I just now noticed on their website: "Please note that codefree DVD players don't work with PAL region DVDs on standard US TV (NTSC) or NTSC region DVDs on PAL TV. To do that a Multisystem TV is required or select a multisystem modification if available."

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
PAL->NTSC conversion is not critical for most people outside the US (since they already have multi-standard TVs).

Also, it's not an issue for Plasma owners (also multi-standard) or projector owners.

It's just directview owners (except Sampo) that have this problem.

In any case PAL->NTSC transcoders are not that expensive!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
PAL->NTSC conversion is not critical for most people outside the US (since they already have multi-standard TVs).
I take issue with that. ;) I and the original poster are in Canada and NTSC TVs here are the norm.

Quote:
Also, it's not an issue for Plasma owners (also multi-standard) or projector owners.

It's just directview owners (except Sampo) that have this problem.
Rear projection TVs too, which are what most widescreen viewers in North America own. (I have a direct view widescreen though.)

Quote:
Really? They don't seem all that cheap to me, at least compared to the US$425 RP91.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
OK guys here is the whole story.

RP-91 mod is done either by me or JVB digital. JVB develops mods and I am one of the very few their dealers in US. RP-91 mod right now gives ability to switch regions automatically or maually and is RCE future proof. It also disables crapovision and new mod will enable to skip FBI warnings. It outputs PAL progressive, it does not convert PAL to NTSC because hardware does not support it.

The only players that do perfect conversion are based on mediamatics chip, Like Malata and all JVC progressive scan players. We are working on mod for JVC right now.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Quote:
new mod will enable to skip FBI warnings
Hell, it'd almost be worth it to get the mod just for this. I hate that locked FBI warning business, as much as I hate forced subtitles (like my Qiuju Da Guan Si DVD which has forced Chinese subtitles despite the fact that it's already in Mandarin).

But alas, I live in Canada, not the US.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,177 Posts
CKNA: do you have a website? I sent you a private e-mail since I don't have your e-mail address but haven't heard back. I have some questions about having you do an upgrade to an RP91. Otherwise please e-mail me at [email protected] .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by WynsWrld98
CKNA: I have some questions about having you do an upgrade to an RP91.
WynsWrld98:

Keep the rest of us informed about your questions/concerns and the reply. I'm sure we would be interested and it may answer some our own questions.

CKNA:

According to the JVB site, the installation charge is only $10.00. That is very reasonable. Do you charge the same? What about shipping to Toronto?

To all:

Good point about PAL. For me it means that I will only be able to play PAL encoded DVDs through my LT150 and not my TW40X81. I can live with that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
new mod will enable to skip FBI warnings.
Is that mod available now or something that is being worked on?

CKNA:

Also see me questions to you in my reply to WynsWrld98.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,177 Posts
CKNA told me that he can sell me the DVD player with the mod installed for a certain price and he's authorized for Panasonic. I won't divulge the price but you can certainly e-mail CKNA for that info. I don't own the DVD player yet so I thought it may make sense to buy the DVD player from CKNA, have the mod done at that time then mailed to save shipping costs.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
According to the JVB site, the installation charge is only $10.00. That is very reasonable. Do you charge the same? What about shipping to Toronto?
I charge the same for installed mod and $10 cheaper for DIY kit.

Shipping is actual cost. The cheapest way to Canada is UPS.

Quote:
Is that mod available now or something that is being worked on?
FBI warning skip is not available yet. We ran into some problems.

I have no ETA.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
UPS Standard is potentially problematic as they may occur higher brokerage costs than USPS. There should be no duty, but GST + PST will usually still be charged.

I will wait however. I look forward to your FBI-skip mod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the mod upgradeable through firmware or otherwise? (IE, if I got the mod now and you did the fbi-removal a month later would I be able to upgrade it myself or would I have to send it back?)

- Toxygen

·
Registered
75 Posts
CKNA,

Do you guys have any macrovision free mod planned for the Panasonic RP56? My NEC MT1040 projector has a non-fixable bug that screws up the image when a macrovision progressive video feed is fed into it :( Might have to go with the Skyworth if no mod is available. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Sure they are. And even the most expensive ones do a sucky job and give you VHS level resolution. Like the Tenlab TR-21. $700 for VHS DVD. :mad:

For half the price, you can buy a MALATA and have the best of everything. I have owned every type of electronic device that can give me PAL on my NTSC TV, even a HTPC, and only the Malata has satisfied me (thrilled me, actually).

The rest were/are utter crap. (a HTPC isn't crap when used on a HDTV, but it's difficult to set up and maintain, not to mention expensive).

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Do you guys have any macrovision free mod planned for the Panasonic RP56? My NEC MT1040 projector has a non-fixable bug that screws up the image when a macrovision progressive video feed is fed into it Might have to go with the Skyworth if no mod is available. Thanks!
Yes, it will have crapovision off. We hope to have it ready in 2 weeks, but I can't promise it.

Quote:
Is the mod upgradeable through firmware or otherwise? (IE, if I got the mod now and you did the fbi-removal a month later would I be able to upgrade it myself or would I have to send it back?)
Mod for Panasonic player involves firmware upgrade and adding a chip. If you want FBI skip then I suggest you wait when it is ready

because it will be different chip and firmware. I do not have ETA because we ran onto some problems as far as stability of playback. We test all of our mods thoroughly so people do not have any problems.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.