AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this is useless without pics - I'll add some later. Anyway, after a number of GIK Acoustics purchases (which I am very happy with for the money) I decided to go with RPG for rear diffusion - based on Anthony Grimani's "recipe" for theater acoustics (which calls for 3D diffusion in the rear and ceilings).

Visually, for $400 - these things look like garbage. They are no better finished than any GIK product, and in fact arrived with some of the black paint scraped off the end pieces (the black finish I paid extra for, and was supposedly painted at the factory). The individual "towers" themselves, despite being painted, clearly look like cheap pieces of styrofoam, even in black, even from 5-8 feet away.

Acoustically I'm sure they perform as advertised - but aesthetically I was expecting something more finished at this price point.

At $50 each I would say I got a good value on these 2X2' pieces of plastic. At $200 per block I see this as a rip off.

Back to GIK for my future acoustics purchases - the only reason I got RPG in the first place is because GIK doesn't make a 3D diffusor.

Reactions: ellisr63

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
As Blldo has stated.................I used Viscoustic brand Skyline look a likes.

Diffusion won't go as low compared to RPG's version............but according to my REW graphs and re-calibration with XT32........they made a significant difference. Paid close to $125 each which includes shipping............product was $85 per unit without shipping. From what I've read...............same diffuser is now priced at $125 each plus shipping.

Highly recommend...............

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
skyline diffusers are not a difficult DIY project, runs around $50 in materials for a 2x2. Just a lot heavier than Styrofoam.
And about 3 hours to build one. :D

which calls for 3D diffusion in the rear and ceilings
That is actually a 2D diffusor. Basically it scatters/diffuses the sound up/down and left and right vs 1d diffusion that goes left/right or up/down based on how you have it mounted. For me, 1D is better suited for the back wall. Basically you want to throw the sound back to the side walls and not the ceiling. In a live recording room though 2D can be a very effective or in the listening room if the ceiling is treated properly.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies guys - for me I did not get into building a Skyline because of how time intensive that project would be.

Glenn - oops my bad - you're right of course - the Skyline is 2D and the diffusors I bought from you are 1D (they're placed in front of the seating).

I went with Grimani's recommendation simply because I was getting paralyzed at how much conflicting acoustic advice was out there, and decided that his recommendations seemed reasonable (I got his 'recipe' from the Home Theater Geeks episode Acoustics 101) as a starting point.

The room is only for movies - and I assume the reason he recommended 2D diffusion overhead and behind the listener is to provide a more diffuse surround sound to aid in reducing localization of the side and rear surround channels.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yes, Vicoustic Multifuser DC2s are available in Black, Grey and White. Worth mentioning that Vicoustic only sell by the case, I sell them individually. Shipping is about $15 per panel. They work great.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Acts as both a diffuser and absorber, works extremely well, customizable in the field, can be covered with fabric easily, and only 2 inches thick. It behaves similarily to RPG's BAD panels. Diffraction is the beginning of understanding of the binary diffsorber.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Yes, Vicoustic Multifuser DC2s are available in Black, Grey and White. Worth mentioning that Vicoustic only sell by the case, I sell them individually. Shipping is about $15 per panel. They work great.
Hi Nyal:

I was going to order two of the black Vicoustic DC2's. Your website says the following relative to shipping:

View Cart
** Spend $99.00 or more on select items (excluded: RPG & Vicoustic all except MultiFuser DC2) to receive FREE Shipping for orders to United States

Which I would read that none of the RPG and Vicoustic products qualify for free shipping, with the exception of the DC2's. But, when I added the two units to my cart, the shipping priced out at $60 plus to Kansas City, MO. I understand if they aren't not part of the free shipping offer, but $60+ vs $30 seems like a lot for two ploy foam panels. On a related note, music direct sells individual panels for the same price and offers free shipping.

Ron

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Thanks Nyal for getting back to me so quickly. Great news for AVS members, we still get a special rate quoted in this thread (last year). Placed my order for two diffusers with Frontier Acoustics.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I've been looking at Kenitics Stealth diffusers and other similar makes but none show the graphs to compare to RPG's thicker product. It is a shame that they don't look well made though because I was really interested in them.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thanks Nyal for getting back to me so quickly. Great news for AVS members, we still get a special rate quoted in this thread (last year). Placed my order for two diffusers with Frontier Acoustics.

Thanks
Ron
Acoustic Frontiers :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I've been looking at Kenitics Stealth diffusers and other similar makes but none show the graphs to compare to RPG's thicker product. It is a shame that they don't look well made though because I was really interested in them.
If you have the depth and they are far enough away from you I'd suggest the DC2 are best value diffusers out there. I do not like to use them within ~8ft of seats, I prefer "gentler" diffusion profiles (geometric shapes).

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
If you have the depth and they are far enough away from you I'd suggest the DC2 are best value diffusers out there. I do not like to use them within ~8ft of seats, I prefer "gentler" diffusion profiles (geometric shapes).
Thanks Nyal!

I have plenty of room for sure but what is it about the organic shaped 2D diffusers that makes them inferior?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Nyal!

I have plenty of room for sure but what is it about the organic shaped 2D diffusers that makes them inferior?

I'm sure Nyal will correct me if I'm wrong, but the mathematical based diffusion can create phase issues with listeners seated close to them. This is one of the grey areas I haven't seen a good answer to regarding to diffusion; D'Antonio has suggested a minimum seated distance of 3 x the wavelength of the lowest frequency diffused, and if you diffuse down to the Schroeder frequency of about 300hz, this equates to about 11.3 ft from the nearest listener. Perhaps the 8' is a bit of a compromise?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts