AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Linksys WGA11B "Game Adapter" to bridge the ethernet port on my replay to my 802.11b network. I hate running cat5 cables everywhere!

Reason I bought this thing instead of the Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet bridge was because the specs looked nearly identical for my needs and the WGA11B was $30-$40 cheaper. It looked like a no brainer.

I hooked this thing up to my computer and configured it with my WEP key then connected it to my xbox to ensure it would work with xbox live and it worked no problem. I then moved it to my replaytv and it did a net connect via my wireless network flawlessly! I was psyched! But then I noticed that I lost connectivity about 5 mins later when i tried to do a subsequent net conenct.

I tried a variety of things such as a hard reboot on my replaytv with no luck. I moved the WGA11B back to my xbox and things worked fine.. hmm... I then tried power cycling the WGA11B then doing a netconnect with the replay. BINGO! That was the problem..it looks like the WGA11B (or my Replay) is losing connectivity after a period of inactivity.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm afraid it's the replayTV that's doing this which is going to make any type of wireless ethernet bridge impossible.

Edit: I found this users's comment on the other Linksys wireless ethernet bridge (WET11):

Quote:
"I'm a senior Software Engineer and I found this product to be difficult to setup. It simply wasn't clear that you needed to set it up using a PC if you wanted to hook it up to something like a ReplayTV's ethernet port. Daily lockups make it a real pain to use. The only way to keep the WET11 online is to pull the power plug out every day and force a reboot. Linksys email support is not responsive at all. "
Source: CNet User reviews on Linksys WET11

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have been using the WET11 for over ayear and have had little, if any issues. I found it easy to setup and it works well for the Replay. The WGA11 or WGA54 should work as well. They are basically the same device with just a slightdecrease in power compared to the WET11 / WET54G.

I would recommend using a static IP adress versus DHCP. Once configued and in place, you should pull up the status page for the bridge via the IP address and a web browser and look at your signal strength and quality to make sure they are adequate. (I am assuming the WGA11 has a way to look at the signal strength, quality, and connection speed.

If the signal strength / quality are on the weak side, you may have to move things around or look at a better antenna for your router / AP or the WGA 11. Poor signal can cause you some issues.

You should also verify that you don't have a 2.4GHz cordless phone near your WGA11 or your router / AP. It will cause performance issues as well.

Judge

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.