AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a new RPTV (upgrading from an older 61†4:3 non-HDTV capable Sony XBR). I know that many here automatically suggest FP systems when high-end RPTV’s are brought up as a topic, and I am definitely interested in getting an FP system eventually, but even when I do, I would likely keep an RPTV for cable and satellite viewing anyway. Since I am a few months away from buying a new house in which an FP system would be viable, I thought I would upgrade my RPTV. I have my list down to the following:

1) Mitsubishi WS65907

2) Philips 64PH9905

3) Pioneer PRO-710HD

How important/useful are the 9†guns on the Philips vs. the 7†guns on the Mits and Pioneer? What are the differences, if any, between the Platinum, Platinum Plus and Diamond Series sets from Mitsubishi? What is the story on the prices for the Philips? A quick search on the Net comes up with some places showing the old high prices ($7,500 to $9,999) and a couple with REALLY low prices ($3,100 range). There is a Good Guys local to a friend of mine that has an Open Box model selling for around $4,000. Are prices coming down on this unit? If so, why? Is there anything wrong with it? Most of the posts for advice on RPTVs on the Forum focus on the Mits, Toshiba and Pioneer units – hardly anyone recommends the Phillips…

I would very much appreciate any and all help/advice. Thanks in advance!!

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Check out some of the old threads on these sets. I could very well be wrong but I think there have been problems with the Philips such as fan noise and other concerns.

As far as 9" guns vrs. 7" guns, theoretically the 9" guns should allow better definition, all other things being equal. In reality, they are there for more brightness on the larger RP sets.

Have you thought about the Mits ws-73907? Has 9" guns but a hefty price tag, around $7100 plus delivery.

The other concern is what are you going to hook up to the set? Some sets have limitations as to what you can and can not hook up. Finally, if you're going to watch a lot of analog signals off cable, you're going to want a decent line doubler. You may need to get an external line doubler as many sets have poor doublers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I totally agree with your assesment on RPTV and FP. I have both and my family watches most TV on the RPTV and we just watch mostly movies or special occasion TV shows on the FP. They watch Survivor, Super Bowl, Playoffs and such on FP. I think the best situation is to have both.

-Jym-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.