AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two RPTV's networked and Comcast analog cable. I am pleased but would like to add some premium channels. Comcast wants me to upgrade to digital cable.

What I like about my present setup is that I don't have any extra boxes to coordinate in order to record programs. I am concerned that if I add a digital cable box, that there is an extra layer of complexity when setting up for recording.

How does the RPTV work with a digital cable box for recording? Is it as seamless as recording with analog (no cable box)?

Thanks

Ken K

·
Registered
234 Posts
yes and no...........

With either the serial cable or an IR blaster, the Replay controls the cable box very well, once you get your box you can look on this forum for help in setting up the replay to work the best with the box you get....

As long as you keep your cable box on 100% of the time, for recordings, all will be fine.

For general viewing, changing channels does take a sec. or 2 longer then without a cable box, as the replay has to send the signals to box, wait for it to respond...with analog, you don't have to wait for that.............and in either case, you have to wait for the live buffer to do its thing.......

but for recordings, keep the box on all the time and you won't notice anything differnt, but a better pic. quality (maybe)..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That is reassuring.

Now, if I can just find that serial cable......! (I assume that it will take any plain 'ole serial cable...?)

Thanks,

KK

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a similar setup, Comcast digital with one box and two Replays. It works very well for me. I have mine set up (with a splitter) so the direct RF cable goes into the Replay, and the S-Video from the cable box goes into Input 1. The Input 1 channels have the normal numbers, the RF are +1000. I even deleted the duplicates from the digital side to prevent confusion with Zones and Record All Episodes.

That way, if a show is on an analog channel, recording does not tie up my cable box. It only uses the box for premium channels and digital channels. One caveat though. If you are recording from a digital channel and someone in the house changes the channel, that what you end up recording. I usually do my premium recordings in the middle of the night, since HBO repeats everything a hundred times anyway.

The other Replay is RF In only and recording conflicts still get resolved just fine, even though the channel numbers are not the same. it must go by network or show names.

·
Registered
698 Posts
AFAIK, serial cable control only works with satellite receivers. But you won't notice any difference between having a STB or direct RF feed, except when the IR blaster screws up. After you fine tune it, that might be one show every month, maybe less.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the info.

A couple of random questions:

First, I need definitions for STB and RF (?radio frequency?)

Second, if I purchase digital cable from Comcast and I have only one digital cable box, I know that I will have digital cable at the one drop where I have the cable box but do I then still have analog at the other drops in the house that don't have the cable boxes?

Thanks

Ken K

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kdkrone
Thanks for all of the info.

A couple of random questions:

First, I need definitions for STB and RF (?radio frequency?)

Second, if I purchase digital cable from Comcast and I have only one digital cable box, I know that I will have digital cable at the one drop where I have the cable box but do I then still have analog at the other drops in the house that don't have the cable boxes?

Thanks

Ken K
STB = Set Top Box

RF = ?Rejection Frequency?

The real competitive advantage of cable is the ability to watch non-premium channels without needing a receiver. For example I have TVs in four rooms, but receivers in only two. You can also quite easily setup your connections so that the RTV can record the RF feed directly, so that you can watch another channel thru the receiver at the same time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You'll still have analog cable throughout your house - just digital at the location of the box.

I have the exact same setup as you describe.

When setting up the Replay I have both the digital and analog cable setup - Replay uses the regular channel numbers for the digital and then adds 1000 to the analog channels (ie. 1004 is analog channel 4)

At first I deleted all the digital channels that were duplicated on analog. So I deleted channel 4 since 1004 was the same thing, this way I didn't have to rely on the IR blaster that so many people had issues with.

But, the last six months with the help of the group I fine tuned the IR blaster and now it hasn't missed a show in that whole time period. I get a better picture through the digital cable box, so know I dont record analog at that location - but do still record analog at the other tv.

Bob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all. As I have questions/problems, as I am sure I will, I thank you in advance for your input.

Ken K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.