AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 51" wide space to fill and am willing to spend between $3 - 4k. For the last few months I have been researching and had my heart set on either an lcd, dlp or an lcos rptv, and I have been deciding between the Samsung, Sony and the Phillips . . . until I went yesterday to watch some Football at Tweeter. The fact is no matter how much you learn on-line (and this forum has a wealth of information), you have to like what you see, and I didn't! I've always been a direct view fan and didn't like the detail you lose in a rptv. While a lot of people rave about dlp, I saw an action seen where the pixelation was nauseating. Never-mind the horrible job these sets do with SDTV. I actually like the sony lcd rptv (grand wegas the best) but, I have been told this is old technology.

What it comes down to is I know I can't buy a picture tube, the biggest widescreens are only 34" (too small) and they are way too heavy. At the same time I can see the difference between the $3k EDTV plasmas and the HDTV versions. And, I am worried about burn-in with the plasmas because we still watch am lot of SDTV. The new panasonic just doesn't cut it, especially when it is sitting next to a couple of Pioneer HDTV plasmas.

What to do? Are prices on HDTV plasmsas going to drop into my range soon? Will LCD's become reasonable? If someone can tell me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel please help!

I am posting this in the plasma/lcd forum because in my heart (and not my wallet) I feel that this is where I will be told I should end up based on my taste and desire for detail and a big picture.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The prices will surely come down, but slowly. It's not like computers, where in a few months it can be obsolete. To determine what you like best will require you to view all the different technologies, and pick what is most pleasing to your eyes. If you reach a tie breaker, I would consult with your local ISF tech, and see what their choice would be, as their could be a bigger difference among the sets once they are calibrated. The pixelation that you saw may have had nothing to do with the set.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.