AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read and searched through hundred’s of posts, I still can’t find one that addresses a simple need for an RPTV that :

1:exceptionally handles SD (cable and DSS sources),

2. is 16x9.

3. is 50â€-73†diagonal?

I understand the need for compromise. I know SD is 4x3. But for someone that wants 16x9 (for only occasional HD use…we use another HDTV for our prime HD and DVD viewing), and wants the best PQ for SD, is there any widescreen RPTV that comes close in PQ to a direct view for SD viewing?

We have the space for almost any size. We’ll be seated 15’ from screen. Is an RPTV the way to go for us SD viewers?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was looking for great SD also and I found the best RPTV on SD and stretch modes was the Pioneer Elite x30 line. (Also has great HD) My review is on this thread The Toshiba HX82 line also had a good SD picture and stretch modes and I found the Hitachi SWX line to have a good SD picture but bad stretch modes.

I noticed that smaller sets do not blow up the bad info on a lot of cable and DSS feeds

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The Elites are well known for high performance in this, and most other, areas. One caveat is that you will likely want to use the "Natural Wide" stretch mode for your 4:3 viewing, since the Elites like all CRT-based RPTVs will suffer burn-in if you watch with the gray/black bars on for greatly-extended periods.

A DLP or LCD-based set will solve this problem, allowing you to view 4:3 context in its OAR. This theoretically should help PQ. There are mixed reports on the performance of the Samsung DLPs and Sony LCDs in this area, but some people are seeing better results through various tweaks, the use of the DVI input from a satellite box, etc.

Compromise is the name of the current game, unfortunately.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will research Panasonic Elites, Toshiba HX82 and Hitachi SWX.

Anyone else recommend a widescreen RPTV for viewing SD?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.