AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a week of having my 5060 placed next to the left side of my TV, actually, to the left of my tower speaker which is about 2 inches from the left of the TV, I've noticed a green hue in the lower left corner of the TV. It was not there before my 5060, and started about a week after i got it. My towers are shielded, but now I notice it getting worse(bigger green area) unless I move my left tower away. I couldn't figure out why it would randomly start showing green, since they towers have been that close for months. Only thing I did was add a 5060 in the left side area. Could the HD mag be causing this, then somehow the tower is amplifying it? Not really sure what to do about it? Here's my specs:

TV - 40XBR800

RPTV - 5060

Towers - Infinity. Alpha 40

thanks,

stan

p.s. - I have an SVS sub in back of the right tower, and when I first placed it, I noticed the green on the right side, but moved the sub out a few inches and prob solved. Don't think it could be the sub as the green is on the opposite side of the sub?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No. More likely the magnets in the tower speaker and sub. The metal in the Replay might have changed the field characteristics, but more likely it's just a cumulative effect from the speakers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weird how it started months after the speakers had been in place. any possible solution for this? I guess I could try removing the 5060 and putting things back like they were pre-5060?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
There was a thread past month or two which described the exact same symptoms and was ultimately traced to the tv set's shadow mask heating up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bayside,

any idea where or what that thread was called? I would really appreciate it if you could remember. I tried a search buy came up dry.

thanks,

stan

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
No I don't recall, but I posted in it, and green and screen should narrow it down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most likely your running into magnetic conductance through your replays case. Having the towers the distance that you do from your TV was fine, but putting a metal conductor between the two has helped to extend the magnetic field. Kinda like putting a nail in a electromagnet then taking it away, the nail takes on a magnetic quality. I would be very cautious about your hard drives reliability next to a magnet like that.

move your replay on top, or below your TV.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The green cast should go away when you move the source of the field. The screen should degauss itself, but if it doesn't, it can be professionally deguassed. Fields don't normally damage screens, they just cause problems in the short term.

I got some speakers too close to my set and had a nice rainbow effect for a day or two, but then it went away, after I moved the speakers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TY for all the help guys...

So last night I moved all my speakers back, and moved the 5060 from the left side of the left tower, to in between the tower and the TV, with the 5060 standing on it's side. The green went away for the most part, just a slight tinge about a 1/4 of an inch. Hoping my Sony's degaussing will get rid of that in the near term.

Last question: Do any of you think by putting my 5060 next to a shielded tower speaker would affect the magnet in the 5060's HD? I'm currently in the process of having a ent. ctr. built, and in the meantime I am using the Sony stand that came with the tv and have run out of space, that is why the 5060 is on it's side in between the tower and TV.

thanks again,

stan

·
Registered
35 Posts
as i mentioned in my previous thread, i would be very worried about having the replays harddrive that close to a magnetic field, especially one strong enough to distort your tv. Hard drives work entirely on magnetcally stored information, if you get a strong enough magnet next to it, poof! I would definately move it somewhere out of the way of the speakers, and if worse comes to worse, put something between the speaker & replay to add shielding.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
i was always more concerned with the magnet in my speaker affecting the replay's hard drive...in my old setup i had one of my unshielded front speakers inches from my showstopper...always wondered if that might cause problems

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doc,

should I be worried even if my towers are shielded? I guess my question is, I would like to leave my 5060 next to my tower for the short term, until my ent ctr is built. I agree that any magnet next to an HD is a no-no, but wondering if a shielded speaker is an exception. For instance, my computer speakers are positioned close to my HD tower, and have never had any ill effects.

thanks again,

stan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.