AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decide to purchase an RPTV to place in my living room cabinet. The cabinet shelf (where the TV would sit) is 30 inches off the ground. The cabinet depth is 25 inches. The Toshiba 51 and 57 inch TVs should fit depth-wise with an inch or so to spare (height and width are not an issue). I sit 10ft from the cabinet on a couch. The question is, will the TV be too high off the ground for proper viewing (angle)? Does anyone else have experience with an RPTV sitting this high off the ground? Would tilting the TV 1/2 inch or so be a good idea?

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
It can be an issue. The optimum configuration would be to have your eyes in line with the center of the screen. I'm sure what tilting the TV would do. It may help the issue or it may not change it at all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 60" GWII sits on a base cabinet that is 28" high - but my seating is on a 10" raised platform. I designed my theater room this way so I could have a nice size base cabinet with a lot of storage and also to give the room a theater feel with the raised seating. I also prefer the center of the screen just a little higher than seated eye level because I find it more comfortable to be looking slightly upward when sitting back in a recliner - and I don't like looking through my feet at the screen.

I realize it's not practical in most cases to raise your seating, but I just wanted to put the idea out there.

More to the point of your question - from my experience with the GWII, the vertical viewing angle is much more critical than the horizontal viewing angle. It doesn't take too much before you start to lose brightness. I'm not sure about the Toshibas, but you should simulate your viewing angle in the store before you make your final decision. I don't think tilting the whole unit is a good idea because of overall support and stability. And it would also probably look kinda weird ,, yknow,, like the crooked old man in the crooked old house. Probably be much better to modify your stand or get a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.