AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new TV and am considering getting a Mits WT-42313 but I have some concerns.

I'm attracted to rptv's for their screen size vs. price and the 42313 is one of the select few that will actually fit into my armoire. However I am concerned- I've read on this forum that that the display on an rptv will dim over time. How quickly does this happen and how much fading are we talking here? This TV will be used every day and I'm leery about dropping $1000+ for something if it isn't going to last very long.

Also I occasionally play video games. With the contrast and brightness at reasonable levels, how concerned should I be with image burn in? (I know this issue has been beaten to death many times, but I want to hear both sides again) By "occasionallY" I mean around 4 nights a week at 1-2 hour sittings. Although there may be times where I may want to spend a weekend playing a new game in 4-5 hour chunks, but that is rare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"...rptv will dim over time."

I've got my Hitachi for over two years now and it is still going strong. It have been on almost everyday since I last purchase it for maybe 6-8 hrs/day. As you might know already, most set come from the factory with picture settings "optimal" for show room display (Contrast/Picture @100%). As agreed and suggested by many RPTV owners, this is a major NO-NO. Reducing contrast will help pro-long the life span of the CRTs along with reduce the possibility of "burn in". I'm hoping mine will be chugging along for the next 10+ years or so....fingers crossed and all.

I've occasionally play games on my set also. Just this past few weeks, I've been spending quite some time playing one of the Xbox games. Constantly for one whole week, 2-3 hrs/day until the game was beat. There are not problems that I can see. Again this can be attribute to setting CONTRAST to the appropriate value.

I've seen some sets which have dimmed over time. But I'm sure for the reasons. However there are some things to consider though...

- did user lower CONTRAST?

- RPTV technology have advance quite a bit, so new CRTs could be better than old

- how old was the thing...was it beyond 10years usage or less than the 10year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.