AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our Sony Trinitron T.V. from 1985 finally retired itself and I need to get a new set. I'm looking for something that will give me a screen size of about 50" and I have a budget not to exceed $3000. I am also planning to build a HTPC so most of my movie watching will be done using a computer. I will do most of my viewing at night but some viewing (at least an hour a day) will be done during daylight hours. I know that will a PC a projector is the favored viewing method but with my budget I'm not sure I can attain one with adaquate resolution and lumens for my needs. So my first question is which way would you go, projector or RPTV?

My second question is then which brand/model would you choose given my above needs (also HD & Widescreen capable)?

I should mention that I can get the Hitachi 53" SWX model for around $2800. Because of this I am leaning toward this set but I can not find any creditable reviews of this set so I am having doubts.

Thanks for the input,

Kirk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Kirk, I'm having the same dilemma, although I'm definitely leaning more towards an HD RPTV considering the higher costs of a front projector, not to mention hefty maintainance fees. I'm just concerned about issues of burn-in, especially with HTPC usage that I've been hearing about. I'm also at gripes choosing/finding the right RPTV... right now I'm considering purchasing the Toshiba HX71 4:3 HD set (not quite ready for widescreen yet). Unfortunately, there are no VGA/RGB/BNC inputs on the Toshibas, so I'm concerned about possible video degration if I'm forced to convert VGA to component... as you can see there are just so many factors working against me!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I own a Pioneer SD-532HD5 RPTV. When I move (probably a year or two, when I am promoted out-of-state), I am going to keep the Pioneer and use that as a TV. Then I will buy a projector for movies.

Go with a projector. It's better.

OUT

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nothing comes close to a front projector if you have total light control. Except maybe a plasma.....The RPTV's I have seen have artifacts and a jerky and fuzzy look to them. To be fair I haven't made sure that they were settup correctly. But, my projector --even when I hadn't tweaked it --looked many times better...It could partially be the source because I have only seen my projector via an HTPC and it's marvelous. One day, when I get a digital camera, I'll post some pictures, I do not have a dedicated room and the FPJ is less intrusive than most RPTV's, but a little more money and a lot more fun???

If you are not a tweaker a dukane dila g 10 equivalent is reasonable. you can buy one for about 3000 $USED. It puts out a nice pic, but if you want a movie experience then talk to curt or tim for used CRT projectors.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I also have an sd-532-hd5 that I bought last year. If given the choice today, I would have kept my 27" for normal TV viewing and purchased a digital projector like the nec lt-150 for dvd/HD viewing. This way you don't see how bad TV really is and you get a big, beautiful picture for your best sources. Overall the $$ is about the same, I paid $2800 for the 53" RPTV and could get the projector for about $2500 + $3-500 for a screen.

jake

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your help I think I will look into the NEC LT-50 (I've heard people singing it's praises in the HTPC section). It sounds like I could get that and a screen for around $2800 and then spend $2-300 for a decent directview set for daytime watching. I think this way I'll get the best of both worlds and still come in on budget.

If anyone else has any suggestions on other projectors I should look into please post them. Also, where can I get a good screen? I need one that can be stored away when not in use and isn't impossible to transport as I will probably be moving within the year and I believe retracting the screen will be easier than moving the TV everyday.

Kirk

·
Registered
308 Posts
Kirk, I'm in the same boat with you. I have just sold my Toshiba 40h80. First I was going to get a bigger Toshia like 57x80, after my Bestbuy discount it's only 1900.00. But I have changed my mind and going with LT150, plus the bulb price has drop to 280.00

I just think bigger is better. Anyhow good luck

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I myself went with a used CRT. Burn in sure dependiing on how you drive it. But for what I paid for it. I am well with in the budget that kirknelson set. And I can do line tripling if i need to. Even quad with my htpc ;) Of course this also depends on the space where it is going to be located. I researched for nearly a year. I myself still see artifacts on lcd that bug the hell out of me. Technology still got a way to go. =)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Back in 1998 I blew $2,200 on a 36" WEGA. It's a nice TV but just not the same as projector throwing up an image four times the size. Now it sits in my bedroom for casual TV viewing. It's a nice TV for channel surfing but wish I'd put the money towards a projector to start with.

For under three grand you can get an LT150 and a progressive DVD player. Worry about the screen and the HTPC later. You may decide you don't need them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.