AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if standing my replay on end(side), instead of flat on it's feet would hurt it? I know as for the HD, that will run on it's side, but wondering if there are any parts inside that would get mad at me?

thanks,

stan

·
Registered
30 Posts
pretty sure everything in there except the HD and the fan is solid state.

If you don't mind the HD on the side....it should be fine.

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Heat may be a problem.

What model is it? If it doesn't have a fan, the expected convection (heat rising) will be screwed up.

With a fan, It will be less of a problem, but you would cover some side vents.

Robert

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have my 5080 mounted face down on a wall in a wiring closet. It has been running that way for 4 months now with no problems. My only suggestion would be to not mount it so the air flow in the rear of the unit points down. Heat tends to rise and that configuration might cause reduced air flow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sry, I have a 5060 and it does have a fan. Don't mind the HD on it's side, since most HD's will run in just about any state. I was more concerned about any relative long term affects I might cause by doing this. Was thinking of turning it on it's side, so that the fan hole would be towards the ceiling, thinking that would take care of the heat rising problem.

thanks.

stan

·
Registered
112 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't block any vents.

Keep the left side up. If you need to do left side down, consider getting some of those sticky rubber feet to lift the unit enough for air to pass thorugh the bottom vent.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry to delve into semantics, but heat doesn't rise- hot air does.

I had a very particular physics professor and for good or bad, some of it rubbed off on me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
be aware, pointing the vent side up will increase your dust accumulation inside the unit, so have some canned air handy to give it a good cleaning every couple months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.