AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my screen to cut down on the glare. Directly behind the screen is a very thin black screen with tiny, tiny squares. I left this on. Does anyone know what

the small very thin screen with tiny holes does? When removing the plastic screen, should this be removed as well? Any danger iif it is removed? I have seen this on Mitsubishi and Marantz RPTV's.

Also, I have noticed that when removing the screen on two different RPTV's, the perception is that the pucture is a little "softer" or not quite as sharp. Does the fact that the thin screen is not pressed up against the Fresnel screen by protective screen have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Squares, not vertical ridges like most Philips sets? Anyway, it's the lenticular screen, designed to refract light forward to the viewing area, and you don't want to remove it.

The main disadvantage of removing the protective glare screen is that the contrast is hurt a bit, especially in bright room conditions. The glare screen acts as a big mirror, reflecting the room light back so that you can see reflections. The lenticular screen acts as many hundreds of mirrors, each reflecting the image of the room, so the result is just a lightening of the screen and reduction of contrast. The disadvantages of leaving the glare screen on are annoying reflections and I think a reduction of detail and of course lack of protection of the delicate and expensive lenticular screen. I prefer my Philips set with the glare screen off.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SInce the glare screen is removed, as yours, would you recommend doing something (tape at edges?) to ensure that it is tight against the Fresnel screen?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.