AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a 58-64" RP HDTV. The room this is planned to go into, has a lot of windows (some of which I can control via blinds). The other windows are second story windows and will be more difficult to deal with. Can anyone recommend a HDTV set that would perform better in this type of environment? Is there a specification that I can look into, that would deliniate a sets ability to deal with a brighter room. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

jeffm

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
RPTVs are not designed to compete with window light, at all, period. You will have to use blinds or drapes to have a chance. One thing you can do that will help a lot is to remove the clear, protective screen (can be quite a job!) on front of the screen. Most of these add a tremendous amount of glare from any light present in the room. You used to be able to buy some sets without them, but they all seem to have them now. They are there to protect the screen from toddlers or pets, but if you're careful, you don't really need one.

John

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Wouldn't a DLP- or DILA-based set work better than a CRT in such an environment?

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Darken the room with an RPTV? Not! that is why they were invented. The brightest sets will be ones that have line doubling such as HD-RPTVs- there are twice as many lines on the screen thus twice as bright. Admitedly one will shorten the life a little because it will have to be run brighter during the day. I have a 61" in a room that is very bright and can watch no problem. It can even be watched with the sun shining directly on the screen!

------------------

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
Darken the room with an RPTV? Not! that is why they were invented.
Not to be argumentative for its own sake, but I have to disagree with this statement strongly. I'd say RPTVs were invented to bring larger image sizes to those who can't afford FPTVs, and to make the image viewable with SOME ambient lighting. They are NOT meant to compete with window-light, although they can be turned up enough to do a fair job in some moderate light. Having viewed many displays in showrooms where the ambient light level was high, and checked those sets for levels, I find they are all set much too hot, with the peril of premature CRT failure you mentioned, as well as greatly increased risk of burn-in.

RPTVs should be set up to run in low ambient light levels, as documented in Video Essentials (there's a section showing the max level of "gray" that a back wall should be, for example). But removing the glare screen WILL help a whole lot, if you can't get the light that low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jeff43:
There are a few RP's with 9" guns. The one that comes to mind immediately is the Mits 73" screen.

That would help but for daytime viewing, you'll still need to darken the room as much as possible.
Excuse my ignorance on this matter, but what is the significance of the gun size? Is a 9" gun brighter, but less accurate than a 7" gun.

------------------

jeffm

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jeffm,

No, the 9" CRTs are both brighter and provide more detail than 7" CRTs. They also happen to be significantly more expensive.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There are a few RP's with 9" guns. The one that comes to mind immediately is the Mits 73" screen.

That would help but for daytime viewing, you'll still need to darken the room as much as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GregQuinn:
For what it's worth, the Hitachi's HD RPTV's are blazingly bright compared to some of the competition. My Hitachi set isn't in a particularly darkened room, and it looks great; the picture brightness was one of the main reasons I bought it; too many of the other HD RPTV's looks very dim in the stores I checked out.
Greg, Thanks for your input. I have been investigating the Hitachi 61HDX98B and it is definitely on my short list. Are you happy with the overall performance of your Hitachi? Any drawbacks that you are aware of? Thanks.

------------------

jeffm

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
If you remove the protective screen then there is no glare. This is another advantage of RPTVs. Rptvs are the best all around choice for all conditions. They fit in better with not having to control the lighting all the time. If it only lasts 7 years instead of 10 it is worth it to be able to watch in whatever conditions one wants. I really doubt if brightness effects the resolution that much-especially with anything but HD. I don't notice it on mine.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I have 2 RPTV's and they can be used just fine with light from windows. Make sure that the RPTV you get can have its glare screen easily removed. As a matter of fact I prefer the picture from an RPTV in rooms that have a lot of natural sunlight. I have a 32" tube in a room with a lot of sunlight and the glare on the front makes it unwatchable in the daytime. I put an RPTV in that room and it is much more watchable in the daytime than the tube was.

Dino

·
Registered
756 Posts
For the record, the dimmer the screen, the better the resolution, all things being equal.

It is a one to one correlation between brightness and resolution. Over simplifying it, if you double the brightness you cut the resolution in half.

This has been one of my pet peeves on the entire HD front. Since most consumers demand brightness, the compromise has been lower resolution. If consumers would learn to live with a much dimmer picture, like in a movie theater and fine for viewing in dark rooms, the resolution on most sets would be significantly, and noticeably, higher.

The other one is color saturation. Most folks set the "color" on their sets way, way too high, causing a "bleeding" effect and that diminishes the entire picture quality.

Like mentioned above, 9" guns are much better but much more expensive and you do NOT want to max out your brightness for maintenance reasons as well as picture quality reasons, no matter which set you purchase.

Also, it's a good idea to have a light source behind the screen, easy to do with RP's. You may want to place the RP set on the wall with the windows, for example. Glare is the main concern.

In the end, look for what fits your pocket book and other concerns such as line doubling, for NTSC signals, and the available hook-ups on the unit.

I know your main concern is for brightness but, if that is all you focus on, the set you finally purchase may be lacking in other areas which, in the end, may end up being more important for your situation.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.