AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a 65" RPTV to be used with a HTPC and was curious what the consensus around here is as far as which RPTV is recommended to work best with a HTPC?

TIA

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Govnah

Looking to purchase a 65" RPTV to be used with a HTPC and was curious what the consensus around here is as far as which RPTV is recommended to work best with a HTPC?

Teeps replies:

I am using a Mitsubishi RPTV, it works for me... Is it the best? Couldn't say, since it's the only RPTV/HTPC combo I've had so far.

I suggest you go here:
http://www.***************.com/htsth...reads.php?Cat=

and do some reading.

Which ever set you end up buying, make sure it has plenty of input options. You want at least two (2) High Definition inputs (1080i), at least two (2) progressive inputs, at least three (3) composite/S-video inputs, and finally a couple of antenna inputs.

Cheers and welcome to the world of Home Theater, Tp

TIA

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I also use a Mits (55819)....RGBHV inputs eliminate the need for a transcoder or HDTV adapter if you choose to go that route, and it doesnt seem to be super-picky/sensitive about the required timings if you tweak with Powerstrip.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Wayne, quick question.

If you got RGBHV inputs, why are you using the adapter?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The adapter provides a true 75ohm termination, which provides for a better looking image than the RGBHV inputs connected to the VGA output of the Radeon card IMHO.

Plus I have two other YPbPr devices which I route thru a Yamaha pre/pro.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was leaning toward the mits! Karnis, curious do they havd the one you mentioned in 60" or >? I will look around as well. Also is it possible to get a RPTV w/ out the botton so that you can place it in a cabinet?

TIA

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the Mits 65807. I love it. PQ is excellent when the set has been calibrated. And they ALL should be calibrated.

Sam

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have the Pioneer 643HD5. True, the model is a little older with no DVI input, but that really doesn't affect me. Costco is selling them for $2200 or there abouts. Original retail was $5500. Awesome looking 64" TV. Has much of the same guts as the Elites, which I'm sure we've all heard about.

The Home Theater Spot is a good recommendation if you want to find out more about any of these sets.

Aaron

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man this is getting confusing! What I need is a table-top RPTV that works well w/ a PC interface via DVI or component. Any other suggestions or should I wait?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They have a 61" but the problem I'm running into is there are so many choices and I can't make my damn mind up. I guess it will always be like this. I'm leaning towrd the Sammy 61" but just need some clarification. Since the Sammy is 1280x720 does that mean I can't go any higher res for say gaming and DVD playback? Also is the Sammy Vesa compliant where most resolutions will work w/ out overscan and visrtual desktop? I just want to make damn sure I buy the right TV because I'm having a 3k cabinet built specifically to house my new TV.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Since the Sammy is 1280x720 does that mean I can't go any higher res for say gaming and DVD playback?"

Pat,

The DLP is a fixed panel digital TV and even if it accepted a higher resolution from your PC the video would be scaled to the fixed panel resolution for display. None of the current tube type RPTVs accept a resolution above 1080i and most will not accept 720p.

"Also is the Sammy Vesa compliant where most resolutions will work w/ out overscan and visrtual desktop?"

Yes the Sammy is VISA compliant, but that has absolutely nothing to do with overscan. The Sammy has aspect settings for each resolution up to 1024x768p. For 720p there are 2 settings (WidePC & WideTV). WidePC has a slight underscan and WideTV has about 2% overscan. Using a full digital path (DVI) the over/underscan can't be adjusted using PowerStrip because no matter how you change the pixels sent to the TV it will be rescaled back to the native panel. The VGA input can be adjusted for overscan.

"I just want to make damn sure I buy the right TV because I'm having a 3k cabinet built specifically to house my new TV."

In my opinion the DLP is the way to go. I'm typing this response with my finger on the HD button so I can switch between the forum and Monday night football (which is awesome in 720p and DD 5.1). I have no problem with 2% overscan, but there is an answer for DVD playback. TheaterTek DVD player allows you to adjust the aspect ratio within the 720p image. TT at 720p over DVI is the best DVD I have ever seem.

·
Registered
206 Posts
One of my sets is the 46" Mitsubishi. I personally don't think this set is a good choice for HTPC. 540P is the highest resolution you are gonig to send this display for gaming. I believe you can send 960i or 1080i for dvds, but it is more complicated. Also, at this size and a normal viewing distance, you will be hard pressed to see scan lines at 480p, so there is not much need for an HTPC on this set for dvd playback. I would recommend watching some fast action on the Sammy DLP. If it seems fine to you after that, I think it would be your best bet, especially if you will play games. If it doesn't look right, I would look for a CRT set that will accept 720P. In sets this size, you are not going to need more than 720 lines. Added reolution will be hard to see.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK guys thanks for the replies and always infofmational to say the least :D

The Sammy 61" it is and I will pass along the demensions to the cabinet shop. I hope I will enjoy the Sammy I saw a 50" at SEARS today but their source was messed up as usual, but for the most part it seems that most Sammy DLP owners are happy. Time will tell. Oh, one last question anyone have any experience w/ PC gaming in the Sammy?

Thanks Again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.