AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so now lets assume I get one of these sets (Hitachi 43, 53, Panny 47 or Tosh 42 or 50") and it comes to me in relatively bad shape, picturewise. Armed only with the Avia disk, what in your experience, would be the expected 'novice' setup time for each or any of these and likewise, what I would expect to have to do to keep the picture looking great?

Also, would any on of these be too involved to get looking good and get me in over my head ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice.

Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
NJDevil, I have a Toshiba and anyone can, in 1/2 to 1 hour adjust anything outside the service menu to satisfaction. If, however, something like the geometry or svm needs adjusting, that is certainly over my head. I have found ways on the 'net to get into the service menus, and I'm kinda technically inclined (I repair PC's for fun), it is foreign territory and probably should be left to pros. If I had ever seen it done or had a competent person to talk to I might try it but to do it right you need thousands of dollars worth of test equipment and I'm sure experience would be worthwhile too!:p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NJDevil
OK, so now lets assume I get one of these sets (Hitachi 43, 53, Panny 47 or Tosh 42 or 50") and it comes to me in relatively bad shape, picturewise. Armed only with the Avia disk, what in your experience, would be the expected 'novice' setup time for each or any of these and likewise, what I would expect to have to do to keep the picture looking great?

Also, would any on of these be too involved to get looking good and get me in over my head ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your advice.

Chris

Hey Chris , you could get yourself a performance guarantee depending on who you buy from. You could also invest in a service manual for your Tv if you are technically inclined. Setting convergence and other settings isnt that hard to do . On a side note out of all those Tv's you listed above you missed the sony kp51hw40 .This set looks great out of the box .Plus it has a flash focus button that will bring your convergence back in if you expierence any drift. Good luck......

·
Registered
67 Posts
Chris,

If your somewhat technically inclined and patient, you should be able to do most of the adjustments yourself. Plan on spending quit a bit of time your first time out, and research your set thoroughly. On my set i have done mechanical focus, geometry, convergence, and color settings. Most have been done from the service menus. I am not saying I am an expert, but I am very please with the results. I also plan to have an ISF tech come out to my house sometime this summer. Where in NJ are you? Maybe I can send him your way. :) Also you need to add the Pioneer Elite to your list.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.